First Time Leaking Aquarium : (

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissMarandaMoo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

Looking for a little help here.. I have a basic understanding of fish keeping but the last aquarium I owned was a 10 Gallon. November last year I purchased a lowboy 50 gallon aquarium and I just recently set it up to start getting it running for the fish I want to keep once it gets a little warmer for shipping purposes.

Sadly I have found a leak in the aquarium and need some help. It seems to be a slow drip leak and I barely noticed until after about an hour after I filled it up I noticed there was some water pooling down near the bottom rim, coming from near the top of the aquarium. The little lump on the glass seems to be some sort of sealant/silicone as if maybe the manufacturer new it was leaking and "fixed it" before sending it out? Sadly I don't have the option of returning it because I bought it so long ago and didn't set it up until now :facepalm: ><

Is type of leak fixable? Or am I going to have to buy another aquarium? I have never dealt with leaking aquariums before so any kind of advice would be helpful. What type of sealant is aquarium safe and do I need to empty out all of the water to do it or can I leave it lowered like I have it right now? The leak seems to be about 2.5-3 inches below the top of the glass. If I need to reseal, do I seal the outside or the inside or both?

Attachments

• lowboy1.jpg
    lowboy1.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 29
  • lowboy2.jpg
    lowboy2.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 33
  • lowboy3.jpg
    lowboy3.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 33
  • lowboy4.jpg
    lowboy4.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 33
Not sure what I'm looking at? Did you remove a piece of trim or is that how it arrived?? If that's how it was delivered I would drain it and throw it outside.

Yes, it is a lowboy aquarium that has a screen top that slides in there.
Hello, I fixed this 50gal hexagon tank. It had a pinhole about center of tank seam. I scrapped out a 2inch inside section of silicone, cleaned w/acetone till spotless. Lined w/painter's tape & siliconed. Let dry 48hrs. Did this in August & still holding. Hope this helps!!!!! IMG_20201115_111543340.jpg

Back
Top Bottom