Fish died by getting stuck. Does this happen often/ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turbovr6

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I'm a bit upset tonight as I lost my first fish. I have 5 gouramis. Sometime between 7am and 7pm it apparently swam inside a hollow tree stump type decoration in my tank. I'm assuming he somehow got stuck trying to squeeze into the smaller part to grab some food or something? I'm not sure really what happened, but it is quite upsetting :(

One of my rosey barbs got caught in a little hole at the top of a castle I used to have. I ended up having to decided rather to push or pull him because his dorsal was tucked in there. I pushed rather than rip the fin. He had a little scratch for a while, so I ended up naming him dweedle dumb.

He could have died and was pushed into the decor by a nibbling fish. It happens. I found a fish wedged between two rocks, dead.

I guess anything is possible. I know he was fine this morning. Livley,eating,etc. When I came home only 4 fish came to greet me and wait for food. I did'nt see any damage to body, or fins. I had to take the stum out of the tank to get to him. He was def. stuck because I turned the stump upside down and nothing. I had to shake the hell out of it to free him.
Theese are the first 5 fish I put in my new 150gal. Now I an down to 1 kissing gourami, 2 gold, and 1 blue. My mind is telling me to rush out and get my blue one a replacement playmate.

Ok so I guess this is normal. If people can manage to get themselves stuck in stupid places, I guess a tiny fish is no smarter.

Yup, it's pretty common. But I doubt that he died from being stuck. He would have had to have been stuck for quite a long time.

well it would have been a max of 12 hours. Now I'm just getting all paranoid something is going to happen to the other 4. I just had my water tested at the LFS. They say everything is good.

I have a few caves made out of lace rock and some of the pieces have holes throughout it. I had a gold barb swim in the cave and try to swim through one of the holes, but his body was too thick. I came home to find just his head popping through and his eyes missing cause his mates ate them. Pretty gruesome....I had to yank pretty hard on his tail to pull him out....poor guy :(

I had a female betta get stuck in one of my plastic plants. Removed them and got some real plants a couple of days later.....

Sorry to hear about your loss. I just broke apart a castle in my tank to get my striped raphael catfish out of the turret. Dumb fish was stuck for 2 days and I finally gave up and tried to get him out by all other means, but had to carefully break it. Stupid fish. LOL.

Sorry about your fish. :(

You can't predict what the silly little guys are going to do. When I vacuum, they are always trying to jump under things as I am setting them back down.

T.T Sowwy bout your fishy

My dwarf gourami got his head stuck in my castle tower once, I had to gently pull him out....I was afraid of popping his head off X.x Did get him out though and he was fine

annnnd my female betta decided to play swim up river with my new decoration that has a piece of plastic that is supposed to symbolize a river in front of the little house and the bubbles go up under it and make the water wheel spin...well she decided that she was going to go into the bubble river, I don't know how or why but I eventually found her trying to swim through the bubbles and helped her get out by tipping it lol

Back
Top Bottom