Fish dying need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stac4lee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey i bought a 120 litre maraine tank, i let it rum for 10 weeks got a cleaner shrimp, and 2 clown fish and a prawn goby they lived for 3 weeks and dyed off in the mater of hours, there was no marks on the fish and i took the water to the pet shop and got it tested and everything was crystl clear, pet shop advided me to get another shrimp to keep the 1st 1 company, i did this and they were fine i waited another cuple of weeks got water tested and got another 2 clown fish they both dyed within a week but shrimp and starfish are surving no bother, irs now up and running over 20weeks, any1 got any ideas all coments are welcome!!

Cleaner shrimp are usually more sensitive to water quality then fish. (especially hardy fish like clowns) This would suggest that there is not a major problem with your water quality. My only two guess would be that A) you have picked up an illness that only affects fish and not inverts. Common ones being ick or parasites. B) Sometimes fish are collected with destructive practices and just won't acclimate well and die.

My guess would be on option A. Did you notice any tiny (grain of sand) white spots on your fish? Heavy breathing or irradiated gills? It is really going to be difficult to daignose if you don't know what to look for when the problems are happening.

quick movement of gills

the fish were in perfect condition but then i noticed that the goby was dead that was at 7 o'clock on the thur nite, but the clown fish were in tip top shape but on the fri morning the colwn fish were breathing rapidly and seemed to be gasping when i came home from work at 6o'clock 1 was dead and at 10o'clock the other one died, we contacted the pet shop and they have no idea wats causing it!! :?::?:

Can you give us some water parameters? I am most interested in the Temp. of the tank. But give us the SG, Nitrite, nitrate, amnonia and so on.

We need.

Temp: (Constant if you have a chiller, Or average)
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
Ammonia:
Phosphate:

Everything else doesnt really matter to fish to much.
Also, Do you have a sump? Powerheads? Your fish may have lack of oxygen.

Whats the turnover rate of your tank?
How much LR do you have? (Adding fish could cause Amm spike if low in LR)

Back
Top Bottom