Fish dying, need quick help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayame_Ex

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

Okay, so I'm really -really- new to this, and I'll post what information I have, but I'm afraid I don't have it all. I got my first aquarium about two months ago, and until a yesterday the fish seemed to be doing okay, but I noticed it was acting weird last night, just sort of lurking at the top of the tank just below the surface which it's never done before. I came home today from work and it was dead. I have two other fish of the same variety in there and they're beginning to behave similarly. If theres anything I can do to prevent them dying I'd love to know.

I should note that the one that died, I was watching it for awhile earlier and I couldn't see anything wrong with it except that it's body had taken on a weird shape, it was sort of pulled in just below the head and sort of swollen just past that.

1. It seems to be the glofish that are effected. I had three, the one I bought earliest seems to be fine, but the ones I bought in a set are the ones acting strange.
2. I don't know the water levels, the clerk at the store talked me out of buying water testers.
3~ 20 gallon tank thats been set up appx two months.
4~My filter is a Marina brand Slim s20 and I had just replaced two of the bio-carb filters (over the course of several days).
5. There were 6 fish in the tank, 3 glofish, a strawberry and blueberry tetra and a black tetra. They're all about 3/4 of an inch in size more or less. One of the glofish is more like 1/2.
6. I did an water change early last week, but I'm not very good at it and removed about 1/2 of the water.
7. The newest one has been in the tank about two weeks but the one that died had been in there more than a month.
8. I have not added anything new to the tank recently.
9. I'm feeding it Nutrafin Max tropical fish flakes.

I'm really sorry if I'm being a total idiot, but I just would like to prevent any more of them from dying.

Thanks!

First, Right now, Do a 50% water change, with decholrinated tap water.

I have a sneaky suspicion that your tank is cycling. (google for: aquarium Nitrogen cycle)

Get a test kit from your local fish store (LFS) It should include ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate, as well as PH. Test ALL the values and let us know what they are. If you have ANY ammonia or Nitrite, that is the culprit.

Let us know!

Back
Top Bottom