fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishtar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have set up a 55 gallon low-light planted aquarium that has been up and running for about two months but my fish keep dying. The pH level is very high even with weekly 10% water changes. I just purchased a piece of driftwood last week from an aquarium store and now 4 days later my neons started dying. Can some one give me a clue as where to go from here.

Have you cycled the tank? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? What size tank? What kind of and how many fish are you adding? You need to post details about the tank in order to get any helpful advice. If you didn't cycle your tank that is your problem. A 10% weekly WC isn't adequate.

was the tank cycled?
Do you have a water test kit?
what are the readings for Nitrates, Nitrites, ammonia?

First of all, usually a 50% water change is recommended weekly, just because anything smaller won't have much of an effect on the parameters. What are you using to test your water? Did you cycle the tank? Posting your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate values as well as your exact pH will help us know how to help you :) Normally pH is not something to worry about unless it is fluctuating. Driftwood tends to have the effect of lowering pH- did you soak it or clean it in any way before adding it?

Edit: haha wow! All of us typed our responses at the same time.

I have set up a 55 gallon low-light planted aquarium that has been up and running for about two months but my fish keep dying. The pH level is very high even with weekly 10% water changes. I just purchased a piece of driftwood last week from an aquarium store and now 4 days later my neons started dying. Can some one give me a clue as where to go from here.

Did you wash the driftwood before putting it in the tank? It is very important to wash your hands and anything else you are putting in the tank. I would not recommend using soap, however.

Back
Top Bottom