Fishless cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duydawg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My current readings are
ammonia - 2.0
nitrite - 5.0 + (its a very deep purple, so its off the charts)
nitrate - between 5 and 10 ( I honestly cannot tell...)
pH - 7.6 + ( I test it with the lower range pH, and its always a deep blue)

EDIT: I just checked my pH with a high level test and it is showing between 7.8 and 8.0 pH

I've been trying to keep the ammonia up to 4 ppm by taking an eye dropper and placing 2 drops every 20 minutes. I've added a total of 4 drops so far and waited 30 minutes and the ammonia is not changing its readings.

What do?

You still have quite a way to go, don't burn yourself out. You're fiddling too much and you are going to end up getting bored with it all. Tend to it every 24 hours. You don't have to space out your ammonia dose like that, if you need to dose just do it all at once.
Don't worry about the pH unless it starts to drop into the low sixes.

What size tank is it? Here's a calculator to tell you how much ammonia to add to get it up to your desired amount (scroll down to where it says ammonia calculator): Calculator

Only dose once in 24 hours. With ammonia at 2 and nitrites at 5+, I'd let it be until 24 hours from now and then test and see what you get. Have you been able to have the ammonia go to 0 after 24 hours of dosing? If not how low does it get? How long have nitrites been that high?

Back
Top Bottom