Fishless cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theo1514

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, new member here looking for some help! I’m in need of a little assistance with my fishless cycling. I’ve searched and searched and have found no answers. I am using Tim Craig’s article on fishless cycling as my main guide while trying to use google to find answers for the questions I have. I seem to be stuck on this question though.

Today is full day number 11 and I have not seen my ammonia drop at all. It is just stuck at 4ppm. I am however getting nitrite and nitrate readings. I only added ammonia once because the first dose I did was way to high so I did a water change to bring the level where it should be.

Here is all the relevant information I can think of.

Ammonia 4.0ppm
Nitrite roughly 3-4ppm. (Test is Darker than 2.0 but lighter than 5.0)
Nitrate is 20ppm
PH 8.2
Temp is 85 degrees

75 gallon tank
FX4 and AC 110 HOB filter both using the media that came with them
Using seachems Stability
I used API Stress coat plus to make the tap water safe.
Using API master test kit and strips.
Will be used for African cichlids

I tested my tap water and both ammonia and nitrite read zero.
Everywhere I seem to read says my ammonia should be zero before I see nitrite but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

I’m not exactly sure where I am in the cycling process?
What should I do now?
Am I close to being able to order my fish?

Thank you in advance.

Its not true that you won't see nitrite and nitrate until your ammonia is zero.

Ammonia processes into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate. If some ammonia processes out you will see some nitrite. If some nitrite processes out you will see some nitrate. And it doesn't take much ammonia being processed out to see a significant rise in nitrite and nitrate. Couple that with the fact the test kits arent all that accurate.

What you could be seeing is say 1 to 2 ppm of ammonia being processed out into say 5ppm of nitrite. Of that 5ppm nitrite, say 3 or 4ppm processes out to 5 or 6ppm nitrate. In reality you cant tell the differences between the readings you are seeing and those in this example. The test simply isnt that accurate and all sorts of things can throw off your readings. Its a home test kit, not laboratory testing.

The fact you are seeing some nitrite and nitrate shows your cycle is progressing. You are only 1.5 weeks into a 6 to 8 week programme. No need to panic yet.

The best way to speed up your cycle is to introduce some filter media from an established filter. Perhaps you have a friend who keeps fish who could let you have some?

Turning up the temperature can also help. 28 to 30c (83 to 87f) is optimum. You are in the middle of that optimum range so thats good.

Its not true that you won't see nitrite and nitrate until your ammonia is zero.

Ammonia processes into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate. If some ammonia processes out you will see some nitrite. If some nitrite processes out you will see some nitrate. And it doesn't take much ammonia being processed out to see a significant rise in nitrite and nitrate. Couple that with the fact the test kits arent all that accurate.

What you could be seeing is say 1 to 2 ppm of ammonia being processed out into say 5ppm of nitrite. Of that 5ppm nitrite, say 3 or 4ppm processes out to 5 or 6ppm nitrate. In reality you cant tell the differences between the readings you are seeing and those in this example. The test simply isnt that accurate and all sorts of things can throw off your readings. Its a home test kit, not laboratory testing.

The fact you are seeing some nitrite and nitrate shows your cycle is progressing. You are only 1.5 weeks into a 6 to 8 week programme. No need to panic yet.

The best way to speed up your cycle is to introduce some filter media from an established filter. Perhaps you have a friend who keeps fish who could let you have some?

Turning up the temperature can also help. 28 to 30c (83 to 87f) is optimum. You are in the middle of that optimum range so thats good.

Gotcha, that makes sense! I appreciate the answers! I was starting to get a little worried since I haven’t seen ammonia drop at all.

I would take the positive readings of the nitrite and nitrate as being indicative rather than there being no apparent drop in ammonia.

You have to base decisions on something, but water tests are indicative and shouldnt be considered definitive.

I would also add that stability is often cited as being a source of nitrite and not much else. That could also explain nitrite and nitrate in your test without a drop in ammonia.

I would give it a little longer. Keep us informed on progress.

I would take the positive readings of the nitrite and nitrate as being indicative rather than there being no apparent drop in ammonia.

You have to base decisions on something, but water tests are indicative and shouldnt be considered definitive.

I would also add that stability is often cited as being a source of nitrite and not much else. That could also explain nitrite and nitrate in your test without a drop in ammonia.

I would give it a little longer. Keep us informed on progress.

Gotcha. Should I hold off on adding any more stability for now? Unfortunately I don’t have any access to filter media unless I ask the LFS. Which may be worth doing.

Gotcha. Should I hold off on adding any more stability for now? Unfortunately I don’t have any access to filter media unless I ask the LFS. Which may be worth doing.
If you have some stability left, may as well use it. I wouldnt buy any more though. After the initial dosage its probably a placebo.

Even if it is just nitrite, its still helpful. A source of nitrite will get your nitrite to nitrate bacteria going without having to wait for the ammonia to nitrite stage first.

Local aquarium club?

I think it’s totally worth it to get used filter media :) it will not only speed up your fish less cycle, you’ll introduce beneficial bacteria into the aquarium guaranteeing that your fish will thrive.

If you have some stability left, may as well use it. I wouldnt buy any more though. After the initial dosage its probably a placebo.

Even if it is just nitrite, its still helpful. A source of nitrite will get your nitrite to nitrate bacteria going without having to wait for the ammonia to nitrite stage first.

Local aquarium club?

I’m sure I can hunt some down from somewhere. I appreciate the help. Glad to see everything appears to be moving along how it should.

I think it’s totally worth it to get used filter media :) it will not only speed up your fish less cycle, you’ll introduce beneficial bacteria into the aquarium guaranteeing that your fish will thrive.

I’ll have to stop by and ask for some. It would be nice to speed up the process.

Back
Top Bottom