Fishless Cycle Strangeness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-JD-

Aquarium Advice Regular
Something strange is going on.

I have been fishless cycling a planted 36g bowfront, and about a week ago, I thought it had completed, with 0-0-80. I did a massive 90% pwc to prepare for the new arrivals, but something came up and I wasn't able to hit the lfs. So, because I wasn't sure when I'd be able to stock, I began redosing the ammonia, with plans to do another huge pwc before the lfs trip.

Well, now I can't get rid of the ammonia quickly enough. I can dose it up to 3-4 ppg, but in 24 hours it only drops to around 1 ppg, then 24 hours later, it might be down to .25. My nitrates still read 0 though. Nitrates are around 80. I did a 40% pwc a few days ago, and while it seemed to help a little, it still won't bring down a 3-4 ppg dose of ammonia in 24 hours. And now I'm beginning to see diatoms. What's going on? :blink:

Oh, and I'm having the same situation with a 3g shrimp tank.

Thanks!

Diatoms usually start on new tanks. As for ammonia don't put anymore of it in. Just keep on doing those PWC's untill it goes to 0.0 - 0.1ppm. As for nitrates they are high. Nitrates should be 40 or lower. IMT i keep it around 20 or lower.

I can easily get the ammonia down to 0 by doing water changes and not dosing it back up. I can get the nitrates down as well. Just not sure if it truly is "cycled" if I can't bring the 3-4 ppg ammonia down to 0 in 24 hours.

-JD- said:
I can easily get the ammonia down to 0 by doing water changes and not dosing it back up. I can get the nitrates down as well. Just not sure if it truly is "cycled" if I can't bring the 3-4 ppg ammonia down to 0 in 24 hours.

3-4ppm is designed to really be overkill. As long as it's dropping ammo that quickly and keeping no2 at zero, I'd say you're ready to go. Fish put out a small steady stream of ammo that the biofilter should be able to handle easily. Just keep it dosed up to 1ppm daily until the day before you stock and make sure the no3 doesn't climb above 20 in the mean time, or just do another big pwc to lower them.

3-4ppm is designed to really be overkill. As long as it's dropping ammo that quickly and keeping no2 at zero, I'd say you're ready to go. Fish put out a small steady stream of ammo that the biofilter should be able to handle easily. Just keep it dosed up to 1ppm daily until the day before you stock and make sure the no3 doesn't climb above 20 in the mean time, or just do another big pwc to lower them.

He is 100% correct IMO! :)

sounds about right. The parameters will probably fluctuate once you get your tank stocked, as long as you don't see major spikes in anything and you keep your water changes regular and don't over clean the tank, you should be good to go.

Thanks everyone! I feel much better about it now.

Back
Top Bottom