Fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keds195

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I set up my tank yesterday. I'm very new to tropical fish but I'm trying to read up as much as possible so I don't jump in feet first and get it wrong.
I'm very interested in doing a fishless cycle. As I don't want to put fish in potential danger. I've read up about using fish food to do the cycle. Has anyone done this? If so roughly how long does it take to complete the cycle? And how much food and how often do I put it in the tank? Thank you

I have not done a fish LESS cycle but from what I've read from those who have, pure ammonia is much easier because you can control the dosage, 2nd best is a raw shrimp. If you choose to do food if get pantyhose, cut the foot part out, put the food (you can do this with the shrimp too) in it & put that into the tank, less mess, easier to clean up. The amount is dependent on tank size.

Alright mate I'm South Wales too, it's hard to find straight ammonia without any additives. Homebase do one but I tried fishless cycle with it but it contained a small amount of perfume. I used biomature bought from eBay in my 90 litre, inbox me if you want a link. Just make sure you have a liquid testing kit

I've bought an api liquid test kit off eBay should be here by the weekend. If I decide to do a cycle with fish. How long do I have to wait before I put a small number of hardy fish in?

You don't have to wait at all, the fish will provide you with the ammonia source, just make sure the water in the tank is treated and you keep the ammonia levels to below .25 what filter will you be running

Just to add I know mrs h recently competed a fish in cycle so she's your girl if that's what your planning.

The water has been treated I will be taking a sample to the shop on sat for them to check it. I've got a marina s20 it come with the tank.

I'm only taking it to get tested because the fish shop said they want to test it before I put fish in it. A I'm a novice I assumed this was normal.

I'm only taking it to get tested because the fish shop said they want to test it before I put fish in it. A I'm a novice I assumed this was normal.

Yeah, they all say that, not sure why as without an ammonia source the water is going to test fine and they'll say it's ok to add fish. Once you do, ammonia will rise from the waste the fish put out. You can do a fish-in cycle as long as you don't start with too many fish and you know what you're getting into in terms of testing and water changes.

Ye I know how much work is in it I know to test at least daily and to do either one big water change a week. Is 50% right. Or 2-3 small 10-20% changes through the week. But if ammonia level gets high do a water change straight away. Can someone just tell me what the levels are I should be within please.

I believe fish food works, but isn't the bet. I'm on day 15 of fishless cycle and its goin good! I use ace hardware brand ammonia

Ye I know how much work is in it I know to test at least daily and to do either one big water change a week. Is 50% right. Or 2-3 small 10-20% changes through the week. But if ammonia level gets high do a water change straight away. Can someone just tell me what the levels are I should be within please.

For a fish-in cycle, you want to keep ammonia and nitrite <.25 (and nitrate under 20, although you'll probably be doing frequent water changes so nitrates shouldn't build up too much until the cycle finishes unless there's nitrate in your tap water).

Back
Top Bottom