Fishless Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alshain

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm having trouble finding a source for pure ammonia. Yes I know there are other methods (shrimp and all) but I went as far as to talk with the manufacturer of several brands of ammonia including Mr. Clean and Parson's and Albertson's Simply Clean. They said its not likely that truely pure ammonia is made anymore. They did mention that their unscented clear versions of ammonia have less that 1% of any surfacant or perfume combined but do indeed have them. Is this good enough or do I need to just try another method?

Go to Ace Hardware and get their brand. Products like Mr. Clean should never be used. Even if it has 1% surfacants or perfumes, that is still putting toxic chemicals in the water.

This begs the question, how do you know the Ace Hardware brand does not have any surfacants or perfumes in it. Even if the ingredients are listed on the bottle, the law only requires listing them if it contains >1% anyway.

I'm using the stuff from ace, and it certainly smells like pure ammonia. I don't have any bubbling or anything like is supposed to occur with things that have purfumes added.

That and everyone seems to use the ACE stuff with no problems. I know it may not say if it has stuff other than ammonia, but since it works for others I figure it will work for me too.

OK, well I guess I will give it a shot then. I do have an ace hardware down the street from me but I was curious because this manufacturer that I talked to said they make the Home Depot and Ace Hardware brands too. This means they do in fact have surfacants in them. Its likely that most ammonia brands are all made by the same manufacturer anyway.

they sell walmart brand ammonia (great value i think is the name) it is in a purple labeled clear bottle, that is what i used. if u shake it, it only creates air bubbles but no froth like there is a cleaning agent present or anything like that.

I can't imagine that even the smallest amount of surfacant would be ok. Its a pretty bad carcinogen for people so I can only imagine what it would do for fish.

Back
Top Bottom