Flame Angel not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andira23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I bought a flame angel two or more weeks ago. I have never really seen him eat. Obviously, he must be eating something cause he is still alive, but what? Is there any special foods for an angel? I feed a varied diet: nori, flake, mysis, algea pellets... and nothing.... anybody recommend anything?

80 gal tank. two perc clowns, yellow belly damsel, foxface rabbitfish, yellow eye tang, flame fish, cleaner shrimp, and 3 turbo snails. All levels at 0. 40 lbs live rock, 4" dsb

Also, any ideas on any other fish to round out the stocking of the tank?

My Flame Angel acted the same way for the first two weeks I had it. It would ignore all offered food and only eat what it could find on the rocks. One day it just came aound and began eating anything I throw in the tank. Just give yours some more time and I am sure it will eat too. Good Luck

You can try soaking the food in a garlic product like Garlic Extreme. This may intis the fish to eat and stimulate appetite.

I hope this really is a case of the fish not wanting to eat due to its new surroundings. Flame angels can be problematic when you dont know the full history of how and where they where collected. There are still collectors out there collecting with cyanide. Lack of appitite, shy behavor and hiding behind the rock work most of the time are two indicators of potental cyanide catching. How vivid are the colors as compared to photos of flame angels or other flame angels you might have seen? Very very vivid colors are also a indicator.

If the flame does not take to brine shrimp than I would really be concerned. When you feed try to add a little to the tank and then back away from the tank. If you have to leave the room but poke your head in so you can see if its eating. Fish can honestly go quite a long time with no food.

The dwarf angels natural diet is algae so it shoud take quickly to the nori your adding.

Back
Top Bottom