Flashing but no ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could be ich, the white spots you see on the fish is the actual exit point of where the parasite has left the body. I would slowly increase your tank temp and do a pwc as a precautionary option. Your fish may just have ich but the parasite has not become free swimming.

Did 50% WC today. 40g planted tank. Fancy Show Guppies. 15 Corys. Pleco , USD Cat, and Borneo Loach

It does sound like ich. You could try using Seachem ParaGuard at half strength (because of the loaches). That was advice given to be by Rivercats to deal with unseen gill ich on kuhli loaches in my planted tank. Otherwise a quarantine tank is the way to go.

I have been using Paraguard in my 29 cube because of ICH and they were better in 5 days. Still treating for 2 more weeks just to be sure. I have Voogle and MicrobeLift Herbtana to use first. It IS safe for everyone

I just can't take the risk in 40g of anyone dying. I know Paraguard works but there is big $$$ invested on this tank

What would cause fish to flash but have no signs of ICH ??

There are all sorts of reasons for flashing that don't involve parasites, like swings in PH after a water change, high nitrates ánd nitrites, and irritation from some water conditioners(yes I've seen this). So I wouldn't start raising the temp or tossing in medications without a little more proof. Plus when fish are infected there are generally other symptoms like loss of appetite and rapid breathing, do they have any additional symptoms?

Has there been any new fish added to the tank in last few weeks?

Last edited:
URGENT. Ok so I think I have figured it out - Guppy Disease. Parasite (protozoa) Tetrahymena - if anyone has any experience or advice I'd love to hear it. My hole tank is going to die - quickly

How did you come to that diagnosis, especially since you need a microscope for a positive test result?

Last edited:
Looked it up on Fish Disease website. Skin looks like dropsy, flashing but no white spots, alive one minute , dead the next. Clamped fins, swimming sideways/ upsidedown right before dying. Trouble breathing. I've lost 5 in 24 hours.
Ammonia O
Nitrites O
Nitrates 20+/-
PH 6.8 +/-
Temp 78
KH 5+/-
Just did 50% WC yesterday
Treating with Herbtana by Microbe-Lift because it is safe for scaleless Loach
Have M/F guppies , 15 Cory's, 2 USD cat and Pleco and Borneo Loach (sucker)

How awful. Have you tried posting in the fish illness section of the forums? I know there are a few true experts around. If no one responds you may be able to read other sick fish threads and find somebody worth PMing.

Yeah, I've talked to 4 ppl, said if it is truly "guppy disease" everyone dies. No cure. Ill decide on different species to get next

Back
Top Bottom