Floating Poo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HarleyNQ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm gunna guess it's something like gas or something but My Shubunkin, Harley, has been pooing with air bubbles in her leavings. She's swimming around eating normally, and I just did a 95% water change today, making sure everything was perfect as can be (I was worried because I had to hold off my usual water change day because the stores were out of my filter cartages until today). The only thing I've noticed is that every so often, she'll go to the surface and gulp air for about a minute.

Is the air bubble Poo something to worry about or should I just add peas (yuck) to my shopping list for my poor Harl?

What are your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? Why are you changing your filter cartridges? You shouldnt be changing them because they house the largest portion of your good bacteria- just simply swish them in the used tank water when you do water changes. Do you have an additional source of aeration in the tank beyond the filter? Start feeding him daily, plain, cooked veggies in addition to a quality sinking goldfish pellet. Broccoli florets, deshelled peas, zucchini, spinach, aspargus heads, etc are all good choices. Remove anything uneaten after 24hs & replace.

What are your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? Why are you changing your filter cartridges? You shouldnt be changing them because they house the largest portion of your good bacteria- just simply swish them in the used tank water when you do water changes. Do you have an additional source of aeration in the tank beyond the filter? Start feeding him daily, plain, cooked veggies in addition to a quality sinking goldfish pellet. Broccoli florets, deshelled peas, zucchini, spinach, aspargus heads, etc are all good choices. Remove anything uneaten after 24hs & replace.

0, .5, I didn't had time to check because I had to run out and get groceries. It was old and had a tear in it. no. and I give her zucchini as a treat once a week.

Veggies shouldnt be a treat. They should be a daily stable in any goldfish diet if the goldfish lives in an aquarium. Improving her daily diet & making sure shes being fed a sinking pellet should really help with the poop situation. :)

Back
Top Bottom