Floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jham9980

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have anyone or do anyone think it's a good idea to put an aquarium on the floor??? I have a 58 gallon tank and was wondering if it was common to put one on the floor, (actually carpet),instead of on a stand.... (I seen one person do it and the setup was nice but uncommon, never seen that before).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can put it on the floor as long as you are not using a canister filter. Just be careful when doing water changes on that carpet :)

Also, consider other things that might now have unwanted access to the tank such as pets, children or a really short roommate.

I'd just check for levelness, like a stand. And that there aren't funky bumps or under in the carpet. It's surprisingly common to find a small chunk of something under there, which might press on the bottom glass.

Personally I'd at least cut some two by fours to the right length, and lay them across the space with 2-3" in between, and use shims to make it all level.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I'd atleast build or obtain a frame for the tank to sit on, that way you can level it. Floors are usually imperfect at best, under a carpet there's really no telling, a popped nail could pop your tank..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have decided to use cinder blocks for my stand instead...heard they are very sturdy and reliable and cheap!!!

I have decided to use cinder blocks for my stand instead...heard they are very sturdy and reliable and cheap!!!

Sure. You can still use shims to level it too.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I wouldn't put a tank on the floor because it's too difficult to syphon out water and backbreaking to maintain. Surely a tank is also better viewed at eye level. Just personal opinions though.

Back
Top Bottom