flourescent light bulb substitution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, my bulb died today, and it will be a day or two before I can replace it. So I popped in a regular household flourescent bulb. Everything looks on the green side now. Guess those fish display bulbs do a good job of muting greens and bringing out other colors.

they do a great job but its not the bulb it is the K rating. the bulb u put in there is probably a very low K rating compared to an aquarium bulb which is at the least 6500K the higher k u go the more white/pink/blue it gets. if u can find a house hold bulb with a higher rating buy it and please tell us the manufacturer lol.

Are you sure the coating on your household tube is safe for aquarium use? I recently got told that a standard tube would crack if it got condensation (or heavier amounts of water) on it b/c I was thinking of sticking in a supplementary tube to an old tank temporarily.

u can buy a bulb at home depot called an aquarium and plant bulb. the bulb doesnt get water near it unless u have an open top tank and a filter that splashes alot. even in those conditions it is unlikely that the bulb will get wet and crack.

The bulb sits above glass lids, no chance of water getting to it. After doing this, the extra money for the aquarium display bulbs is definitely worth it.

mr funktastic said:
u can buy a bulb at home depot called an aquarium and plant bulb. the bulb doesnt get water near it unless u have an open top tank and a filter that splashes alot. even in those conditions it is unlikely that the bulb will get wet and crack.

Oh, ok. I was talking about the standard household tube mentioned in the first post. I will keep an eye peeled at my local DIY store for the one you mean: is it cheaper in general than a specifically designated aquarium bulb (that you'd buy from an LFS), if its for plant and aquarium use?

coldmachineUK said:
is it cheaper in general than a specifically designated aquarium bulb (that you'd buy from an LFS), if its for plant and aquarium use?

a lot cheaper and does just as good of a job for plants as the more expensive bulbs. IME anyways

i have read from indoor plant growing sites that regular cool white flouro tubes provide plenty of the red and blue spectrums that you need to grow plants. (this is not my opinion, simply what i have read). i dont think the glass tubes used in standard bulbs are any different than standard plant bulbs, but the chemicals added inside are different.

i have had standard hardware store flouro's over my tank, but i like the richer tone aquarium lights give, but this is a personal preference. i am not real convinced that the more expensive plant bulbs are any better for growing plants, the plants do not use the visible light we see, more of the red and blue spectrums we dont see. so how pretty a light is, is more important for asthetics, (for our eyes), not the plant.

I have had a lot of luck with the home depot specials. I think you can buy about three for the price of one at the LFS. Jeff

Back
Top Bottom