Fluval U2 Internal Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fintastic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm considering buying a Fluval U2 Internal Filter for my 64ltr (16 Gal) freshwater tank. I've seen some negative reviews (not many) where people claim in removing media to clean, you contaminate the tank with the foul water.

Otherwise, this filter reviews very well.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Neill

The U2 is a fairly good filter, but I don't recommend using internal filters. They usually have less space for media and this one in particular has a lot of cheaper but in my opinion, better equals. I suggest an Aquaclear 20 or 30. They are both cheaper than the U2, but they have more room for media and if you have a background, it would be less of an eye sore. If you want to get a really nice filter, I suggest a canister filter such as the Fluval 106.

Many thanks. I will do more research now. Your time appreciated.

Neill

Hi Neill, i have been running a U2 for about 6 months now. I would give it 3 of a 5. I'm a bit disappointed with the flow. It does keep the water clear but i have a lot of floss in there, so i would expect it to. As Maxwellag said, i'm not a big fan of internals, especially when it comes to space and cleaning. If you tank allows, i would have a look at these. I am going to order one very soon for my 15g fry tank. For the price, you can't go wrong. Think about getting the largest one. When you put filter floss in them, the flow will decrease slightly. Also the flow can be adjusted with these......Ian

External Aquarium Fish Tank Hang On Filter 600 L/H New All Pond Solutions 600-HO | eBay

Thanks Ian. Much appreciated. I've stayed away from externals only because of high

...higher cost and relative size. Was awaiting the next step of bigger tank to go all out. I understand they are much better in terms of water quality and performance and maintenance frequency, etc. However, you've opened my eyes to possibly going external now with what is very inexpensive option. Research and development continues...thanks.

Neill

...higher cost and relative size. Was awaiting the next step of bigger tank to go all out. I understand they are much better in terms of water quality and performance and maintenance frequency, etc. However, you've opened my eyes to possibly going external now with what is very inexpensive option. Research and development continues...thanks.

Neill
Absolutely, i only went with the internal because i couldn't fit that external with my 10g, because of the lid. With my new 15g, i'm definitely going with that filter. I will cut a section from the back of the lid to accommodate it. I use the this tank for my guppy fry....

Back
Top Bottom