Fresh water sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's very possible to set up a sump for a freshwater tank. My LFS uses sumps for the majority of their stock tanks. Google "Melev's Reef" and look at his sump page. It's for SW tanks, but the same ideas apply to FW tanks. Leave off the protein skimmer and the live rock though. Those are SW only.

What size tank?
What filtration do you have now?

I know some people love them, but IME a canister is MUCH better for FW than a sump. They are more effective at mechanical, which is essential in FW.

It would be a 90 I would be buying from someone with tank stand and lid but it's set up for a sump. And I was trying to determine if I should get it or not.

If it is already setup then you might as well. I don't have any clients though that run JUST a sump on a FW sump, they all have canisters as well (run separately, you can't connect them).

Good idea.

No, a canister would not be NEEDED. Really, nothing more than a sponge filter is NEEDED in any tank. My clients prefer the best setup that provides the cleanest water with the least work, so they get canisters.

Back
Top Bottom