Fresh water to sw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawlessr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all i have being planing to move onto a sw reef tank from FW i have being doing alot of reading up on it . i just have a couple of quick questions.

1 . What is the best way for mixing the salt with the water when starting up the tank?

2 . Should i keep LR in my sump and how much of it ?

3 . Should the sand go in before the water or after ?

4 . Will the sand and the LR go in at the same time ?

5 . What is the best way to start the cycle should i put a little bit of food in to start it off ?

6 . I am planning on getting metal halloid lights are these the best ?

7 . How many weeks into my cycle before i can put in coral and how many pieces should i put in at the start ?

I have a fair idea about these questions just want to see if i am thinking along the same lines as all you out there.I plan on getting a 75 g tank and at a guess i think the sump is 30 g .

Cheers:D:D:D:D

1. In an empty tank, you can mix the salt and water with a powerhead or two. Leave room at the top to add water if you start with too much salt mix.

2. i am fan of LR in the sump. The more in the tank's system, the better.

3. See Answer #1

4. I like rock in first, then sand so your rock can touch the bottom of the tank. That way, burrowing critters (pistol shirmp and some fish) will not topple the rock when they dig.

5. Read the Articles section of this site to understand fishless cylcing.

6. I've heard good things about T5's. Not as hot. You doing reef I assume?

7. get a test kit for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates - then see answer 5 again.

Good luck and most importantly ---- take your time. You'll save money in the long run.

Thanks for that that artical was very helpful had a look at your pictures the tank looks great.Any more helpiful advice every little bit counts , the metal haloid lights come with the set up i have planned on buying should i try to change them to t5 s or will they do the job i am putting in a reef

t-5's should do the job in the 75g tank. You can use MH's but need to watch the tank temp more closely and you will probably be doing more topoffs.

Looks like Ray got it covered. I would mix the water and salt in the tank. Wait several days for the salt and water to mix. When you have it right use a piece of PVC pipe and slide the wet and rinsed out sand down the pipe to where you want it. Then I would add rock. Little different from Ray`s but to me 6 1/2 dozen or the other. LOL Congrats on the future SW tank.

Not sure if it's a concern for you or not, But I hear T5's are also MUCH cheaper to run. MH's use alot more Electricity (so I hear).

I went with T5's - Nova Extreme Pro's to be exact.

Also.. I think you know this already.. But most likely you can just Cycle your tank by just adding your LR. Unless your getting pre-Cured rock. I tossed a shrimp in there but I don't even think it was needed.

I pretty much did the exact same process you will be going through late last year. I converted my 45gal FW to a SW. I just started adding Corals!

Your going to LOVE SW!

I am going to have a chat with the bloke in the shop and get the t5 s you have convinced me. The LR cycle sounds a good option i think ill stick with that ill have to sort my self out a container for the water cheers for all the info yous have being very helpful i think its time to go and order my tank now looking forward to it . CHEERS

Back
Top Bottom