Freshwater build advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that would work. Look into more sump/refugium designs and make minor tweeks. Once you finish this project, there will be many things you wish you could have done with your sump.

So I was thinking... Is there an easy way to allow/block water flow through the qt? I'd love to be able to have the qt as extra water volume, and just block flow if I need to throw a fish in there for qt'ing...

I'm looking at ATO setups right now. I'd love to set something up if possible... But I'd have to have a tub or something under my stand, and I don't think I have the room...

Also, is there anything I can put in the sump section with the ATS? I feel like there's wasted space...

I also thought you had a lot of space under your ATS. If I were you, I would put all of your media under the ATS. Collect all of them inside an egg crate so that water can flow through the media. Then you can get rid of your first chamber. Basically, you will have no chamber (beside the QT chamber) and everything you need. Then later on, you can make customize.

Freshwater evaporate a lot faster than saltwater. It's a good idea to have one for convenience and less daily maintenance (maybe more weekly maintenance though).

I don't have any idea of how you can set it up for interchangeable QT and sump volume.

I actually found and read an article about using an attached qt as part of a sump, but after reading and thinking, it just isn't practical to alternate from sump to qt. My only concern is that I feel like that space is wasted when not being used as a qt... Any thoughts?

Still looking into parts and planning my sump setup. Trying to cover all angles before I start setting up...

Edit: Also, what kind of media do you guys recommend?

I'll get my shipment of 5g of pond matrix this upcoming friday. I'll let you all know if it reduces nitrAte as advertised. I'll start cycling it on friday night.

Update: the free 55g I was going to get ended up falling through, however, over the weekend I've made a deal on craigslist, and will most likely pick up an 80g tank today... So hopefully everything goes well with that.

Terrance, hows that substrate going for you?

Also, I've been looking into plants, I'll probably start off with some easy stuff after cycling my tank. Just need to figure out what kinds of plants I should get and what else I'd need to do plants... I think I'll post in the planted section later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom