Fun Colorful fish in High PH?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I wanted to start by saying thanks for all the great info for newbies! I have really enjoyed the research here. I would greatly appreciate some stocking suggestions or guidance from experts much more experienced than me. From reading other post I think I have a decent handle on info you will need.
My current setup:
29 gallon 30L X 12W X 18T
Cycle completed with 6 Zebra Danios (borrowed)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10-20
Temp: 76
Ph: 8.2 (tested tap and tank)
Hardness: 18 I think! API test kit kind of confuses me
Tank has driftwood and artificial plants with 1inch fine/smooth sand substrate.
I am on well water that I KNOW is considered hard! I have also researched several water chemistry areas and made some decisions on that that I feel will affect stocking.
1. I do not want to attempt water chemistry changes
2. I do not want to use/mix RO water
3. I very much want Corydoras
4. I am NOT a fan of livebearers
5. I think my tank is too small for the more brilliantly colored cichlids to be kept in proper numbers
I feel that my water, tank size, and dislike of livebearers are going to really hamstring me! I love personality of Cory’s and want bright colors for the mid and upper levels. Sorry this post is so long but I figure with advice more knowledge will save the experts time. Thank you in advance for your help!
James

Howdy James! I also live in an area with moderate water hardness and higher end pH. I don't like to pay the fish store for RO water either! Thankfully there's still a lot of great options for us. : ) I have a 29 gallon as my main tank as well. My pH runs about 7.6. Have you tested the pH of your water after letting a cup of it sit for ~24 hours? I've heard this is a better way to get an accurate pH of tap water.

Check into some of the dwarf rainbows for your tank, they are generally pricier but awesome fish. I've currently got a small school of threadfins in mine. None of the larger rainbows would work however, and you still want to stay away from the praecox ones because they need a lot of swimming space. Others you can look into are variations of the danio, they have longfin and other color morphs of the common zebra danio if you're interested. I had a school of leopard longfin danios that I eventually traded in because they were too active for me! I keep dwarf cories with no problems, they've been the longest residents of my tank with no real health issues. Some killifish might work, and some of the tetras that are less sensitive. White clouds are very adaptable too, I had a pair of longfin ones that I wish I hadn't traded in, they were beautiful fish.

This article has some other good suggestions, although some are the wrong size for our tanks. But a good read nonetheless!

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/HardWatrCommTkStkMonks.htm

Edit: saw you tested your tank pH too, never mind about testing the water after it sits...

Mollies/platys/swords would be fun, too. I know you mentioned disdain for livebearers but if you stick to all one gender, they don't reproduce and their gender is easily discerned. They also come in many colors, don't get too large, and are tolerant of higher pH.

I'd also ask at your local store what their tank parameters are. They may be using hard, alkaline water, too. And if they are, the fish there have already acclimated. I have corydoras, neon tetras, and an angel living happily in 7.5 pH water. I planted the tank and put in driftwood but the water is hard enough that it stubbornly resists any change to the pH. 7.5 fresh from the tap, 7.5 a week later, 7.5 after years of fish and only monthly, partial water changes. I'm now thinking it's preferable to soft water that swings with the breeze.

You could consider some smaller species of cichlids if you plan to go bigger down the road. I had a trio of Malawi types that I bought small in a heavily decorated 30 for a temp home back when my tap water was like yours. Just plan to need an upgrade in a year and you can have your cake and eat it too.

Thanks for the great info guys! I really have my heart set on 8 Three Lined corys...I even changed to sand substrate just for them:)! I like the idea of a school of Rummy Nose Tetras but I am concerned the PH will cause them to lose their color. Cichlids are very pretty and I think my water would be a good bet for them but tank size is an issue and would probably encourage deadly fights :(. If I can get some experience under my belt and get the wife "into" fish :blink: I hope to one day upgrade to a 110g Cichlid tank. I am also fascinated by Discus but will probably never get there due to water issues! BTW not many options around here for LFS so probably will need to order online. I did as guy at the local chain store and he said their PH and Hardness is very similar to mine. One last quick question. how are pet stores able to keep fish like discus so far outside proper water quality and tank size?!? They have had the same 4 discus in a tiny tank with my type of water for 5-6 months and they still look great...I don't get it!

Check out the dwarf ram cichlids. I have two German blue rams. They are cool but may be a bit more advanced. Not difficult to keep but needs the right environment. Here is my pair...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1391823443793.jpg
    1391823443793.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 90
Thanks for the great info guys! I really have my heart set on 8 Three Lined corys...I even changed to sand substrate just for them:)! I like the idea of a school of Rummy Nose Tetras but I am concerned the PH will cause them to lose their color.

I think Rummy Nose are beautiful fish too, but I think you will end up not keeping them successfully in your water. I spoke to my LFS about it, and what they told me is that the more sensitive soft water tetras will do well in hard water for a few months but the high mineral content is hard on their kidneys. After a bit, they will sicken and die off. Now granted this is from a LFS that sells RO water, but generally they care about their fish and spend quite a bit of time talking to customers about what will work for their tank. The long fin white cloud minnows (or meteor minnows) are a good option to look into, they have very bright red color.

how are pet stores able to keep fish like discus so far outside proper water quality and tank size?!? They have had the same 4 discus in a tiny tank with my type of water for 5-6 months and they still look great...I don't get it!

The ones here use a mass filter system and run two separate racks of tanks, ones with RO water for the sensitive fish and ones on regular tap for those adapted to harder water.

Check out the dwarf ram cichlids. I have two German blue rams. They are cool but may be a bit more advanced. Not difficult to keep but needs the right environment. Here is my pair...

Your Rams are awesome! I do like the rams but have been kind of scared of by them because I have read they are kind of hard with their water requirements. I am going to read up on them some more...(y)

I think Rummy Nose are beautiful fish too, but I think you will end up not keeping them successfully in your water. I spoke to my LFS about it, and what they told me is that the more sensitive soft water tetras will do well in hard water for a few months but the high mineral content is hard on their kidneys. After a bit, they will sicken and die off. Now granted this is from a LFS that sells RO water, but generally they care about their fish and spend quite a bit of time talking to customers about what will work for their tank. The long fin white cloud minnows (or meteor minnows) are a good option to look into, they have very bright red color.

The info you suggested on the Rummy nose is just what I was scared of. When I first looked at Wht. Clouds, they really didn't float my boat BUT the Red Meteors are really cool...I love red!!!;) I never saw them before.

The ones here use a mass filter system and run two separate racks of tanks, ones with RO water for the sensitive fish and ones on regular tap for those adapted to harder water.

It must be nice to have a good lfs. I literally live 5min from the ocean and do not have any good stores nearby. :banghead:

Gourami's are pretty cool. Check out this little guy I picked up at the lfs last night.

Gourami's are pretty cool. Check out this little guy I picked up at the lfs last night.

u5u8yjuq.jpg

He is pretty cool! How deep is your sand bed? I want some live plants when I upgrade my lighting but i'm concerned about anaerobic pockets.

My sand bed is about 3/4" in the front and slopes up to maybe 2" in the back.

What are anaerobic pockets?

Rams do much better in lower ph, there are some pretty nice killifish out there, they are tough as nails so you could probably keep them happy.

My sand bed is about 3/4" in the front and slopes up to maybe 2" in the back.

What are anaerobic pockets?

From what I have read sand that is much deeper than 1 inch can for anaerobic pockets where decaying organic matter can form deadly gasses that will leak out or "pop" out when the sand is disturbed in fact making the tank a gas chamber :huh:

Rams do much better in lower ph, there are some pretty nice killifish out there, they are tough as nails so you could probably keep them happy.

Thanks for the new idea (killifish) I will do some research. Being a newbie a tough fish for my water parameters sounds right up my alley.

From what I have read sand that is much deeper than 1 inch can for anaerobic pockets where decaying organic matter can form deadly gasses that will leak out or "pop" out when the sand is disturbed in fact making the tank a gas chamber :huh:

Hummm...maybe I will take some out then. Lol.

Hummm...maybe I will take some out then. Lol. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
just poke around with a steak fork every couple weeks and it should be fine.. Mebbid said that if the bubbles do breach they go straight up and out if the tank and it's really nothing to concern yourself with...and op! No gardneris! They're nasty.

I'm trying to find some lyretail killifish for my tank currently. Seems like they come around occasionally but they can be harder to find.

If you like dwarf gouramis, try looking for a golden honey gourami. They stay small and are generally peaceful, hardier than the standard dwarf gourami.

Good luck with your fish researching!!

just poke around with a steak fork every couple weeks and it should be fine.. Mebbid said that if the bubbles do breach they go straight up and out if the tank and it's really nothing to concern yourself with...and op! No gardneris! They're nasty.

Thanks B man. I will make sure to do this every water change.

Back
Top Bottom