GBR grabbing bubbles normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chykityta

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

A while back, I noticed my male German Blue Ram "grabbed" bubbles from my bubbler (and still does it). I got a female GBR on Tuesday and I see her doing the same; but, she fills her mouth up with a few bubbles, goes to her flat stone and tries to hold it, but you see it leave her mouth a few seconds later. Is this normal?

This is a 20G high community tank with Nitrites and Ammonia at zero, no idea on what levels Nitrates are at but I religiously keep up with my weekly PWCs; temperature at 82F, and stocking of 3 GBRs, 7 bloodfin tetras and enough filtration for 30G.

Last edited:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe GBR will lay their eggs on flat stones and surfaces. Maybe breeding behavior? I wouldn't worry about fish playing in the bubbles though.

Caleb

Turns out, she IS laying eggs and takes the bubbles to the nest; not sure what it does to the eggs though. The male is not fertilizing them; prevents the other male from fertilizing and eats them all by himself. Question still remains as to why the male ate bubbles from way before getting the female.

Back
Top Bottom