General Tank Thoughts from an Aquarium n00b - 8 mos of Fishkeeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think I've learned a lot about fishkeeping since I got my first tank last summer. I thought I'd make a list of things I would have done differently, had I known.

1a) I would have tested for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH. When I got my first tank, I didn't even know you had to test the water. I didn't know about water testing until I joined this site.

1b) I would have absolutely, 100%, no matter what, done a fishless cycle. Cycling with fish in the tank is just so difficult. I would avoid it at all costs.

2) I would have seriously investigated the compatibility of different fish species, as well as their temperature, schooling, and nutrition needs.

3) I would have definitely quarantined all of my new fish before introducing them to the community tank.

4) I would have learned about how many fish are appropriate for a certain size tank, and would have stocked my tank appropriately. At one point I had 32 fish in a 10 gallon aquarium, without water testing, and I just couldn't understand why they kept dying! *facepalm*

5) I would have decorated my tank according to fish safety, rather than to what I thought looked cool or what a fish tank "should" look like (see pics below). I almost lost my fancy goldfish to an unsafe (for him) resin castle decoration. I had so many plants in the aquarium, that small fish that died would just go missing - I couldn't find them through all the plants. The amount of detritus that settles within clumps of plants is truly shocking - and not good for the fish! If I had know, I would have set up a plainer, safer, and simpler tank, with access to all areas of the tank as needed. I would have avoided tons of decor with hidey-holes, where fish could die without being noticed or get stuck, etc.

6) I would have used sand substrate right off the bat. YMMV, but sand works 100x better for me and my aquariums. I find it to be infinitely cleaner than gravel.

7) I would have vacuumed the tank weekly. When I first started keeping fish, I didn't know that vacuuming was even necessary.

8) I would have done weekly PWCs. Again, I didn't even know PWCs were part of a fish keeping routine.

9) I would not have put a really big fish (my fancy gold) with really little fish (my neons and African frogs). It was a constant battle to make sure the little guys were getting enough to eat, which lead to overfeeding, which contributed to the overabundance of detritus at the bottom of the tank.

10) I would have researched the brand of tank and the kind of set up I wanted prior to purchasing, rather than just picking out a tank based on gallon size. I have a Marineland set up, which is basically fine, but I've had problems with the built-in filtration system where the water level of the incoming water overflows and rises above the lip of the intake passage, backs up, and then leaks down the back of the tank and starts flowing onto the floor. I've tripped our breakers three times because of this problem, even with drip loops. It would have been infinitely wiser - in my opinion - to have purchased each item separately: tank, filter or filtration system, hood, etc. The Marineland tank itself is fine, but the hood and the built in filtration system are really subpar when it comes to safety. As soon as I can, I would like to replace that portion of my set up.

Below are four pics - the first two are from my original set up, with all the plants, decor, rocks, gravel, etc. The second two are from my new, current set up, which I hope will be better for my fish. Note: the tank is cycling, which is why there are no fish in it :)

Attachments

• Old Tank - 01.jpg
    Old Tank - 01.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Old Tank - 02.jpg
    Old Tank - 02.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 61
  • New Tank - 01.jpg
    New Tank - 01.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 66
  • New Tank - 02.jpg
    New Tank - 02.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 66
Nice article!
I LOOOOOVEEEE white sand!!! :D
You have the niche for decorating, which I seem to have bypassed somewhere in my life LOL.

Nice article!

Thanks! I had fun writing my list :)

I LOOOOOVEEEE white sand!!! :D You have the niche for decorating, which I seem to have bypassed somewhere in my life LOL.

Thanks, but you don't manage to kill your fish on a regular basis, as I do, LOL! I'm still learning. I'd rather have a plain tank and live fish! I like the white sand, too, even though it shows detritus really easily. It will just be a reminder to vacuum more often and thoroughly.

very artistically done... I've never vacuumed a tank before, but with that white sand you'd have to, right? Hope the fish appreciate it!

Yes, with the white sand I'm definitely going to have to vacuum. I'm also planning to put a school of cories in the tank - they do a great job in my other tank, which has black sand. There is very little to vacuum up in that tank.

Back
Top Bottom