Getting ready to set up the new 30 Gal -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woofwoofgrrl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have some questions as I go about acquiring the supplies for my new 30G FW tank.

1) My PH is high - Out of the faucet, untreated it's 7.8, from my existing thank - 1 week since my last PWC it's an 8.2. I've heard that getting driftwood would bring down the PH. Is that something that's recommended or would it cause too much fluctuation of PH during future PWC's? Hopefully that question made sense.

2) Do I need to do or get anything special now if I'm going to add plants in the future? I know eventually I'll want real plants, so if I need to select a particular gravel or filter please advise!

For equipment I'm leaning towards the Marineland Stealth Visi-Therm 100W heater and the Aqua Clear 150 for a filter.

Thanks!
Christine

Welcome to AA.

1) It depends on the fish you. Most african (not all) cichlids that live the the lakes (Malawi, Tanganyika, Victoria, or Western) Need higher Ph's than most tropical fish (Around 8.2-8.4). Most Tropical fish can tolerate a wide variety of Ph ranges, Ranging from 6.0-8.0. You could put the driftwood in (It doesnt cause fluctuations IME) if you want. Wait for more input on this.

2) Most tropical plants can go in gravel but not all. The wattage is important when keeping plants also (Not so much with some low-light plants). The recommended wattages for medium to High light plants is 2-3 watts per gallon (2 watts per gallon for medium-light plants and 3 watts per gallon for High-light plants.)

Also,Generally speaking though, you want lights that provide a good spectrum of light, often referred to in K, a tube that produces around 6700K is a good start.

The lower the K rating, the more yellow/red the light produced will be. The higher the number, the more blue/purple the light will appear.

I have 6700K and 18000K tubes over my medium light tank. Which pretty much gives a full spectrum of light to my plants.

Hope this helps :)

Tyler

Back
Top Bottom