Getting ready to throw in the towel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicolej

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm lost. I've had aquariums for over 25 years.... I've never had as many issues with aquariums as I have in the last 2 years.
After a totally mystery cloudy tank issue 2 years ago I decided to bit the bullet and buy a 75 gallon something that is much bigger than I've ever had before. I excitedly set it up with lots of plants, a good plant light, and for about a year it thrived with fun fish and plants going crazy. Then I moved. Next door. The water should be fine just like the old place. But none of my plants recovered from the move and pretty much all of them are now stunted except for my Amazon sword which was stunted before the move and is now taking over. All of my Java ferns died off and my Crypt won't grow much more than an inch or two long. A bunch of my bigger plants all died off so basically I just have one big Amazon sword and my tank looks like crap. I can't figure out what has changed and to top it all off my fish have been randomly dying as well. My test parameters all seem normal nothing has changed about my care for this tank. Now I just noticed that the reason why some of my fish are dying off is because my discus are hunting and killing them. I'm getting ready to completely dismantle this tank get rid of most of my fish and start over. I don't know what else to do.

I’m wondering if there is something that was introduced (aerosol) in the new place that is affecting the tank. Idk. Is the plumbing and water source pretty much the same as the old place?
It’s is not uncommon that plants can have a setback after moving them but can’t explain the fish deaths. Are the discus well fed.

Yeah I know the plants can die off and come back... but it's been almost a year since we moved, nothing has come back except the sword which is doing better than ever. I wonder if its taking all the nutrients?
I thought the discus were well fed, I rotate between feeding black worms, beef heart and flakes, they seem a good weight but just still be hungry!? I think I'm gonna have to just strip the tank, rehome the fish and start over.... maybe I'll go with cichlids and forget about plants....

Back
Top Bottom