Giant Danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpiguy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have no idea how folks catch these on film. Mine are so busy playing around and chasing random micro bubbles from the filter output that it's nearly impossible to get a shot.

Anyway, after a long hiatus from fish keeping, I set up my 55, and have finally added fish.

My first fish had to be giant danios. I love them.

I apologize not only for the bad focus, but for the water spotted glass. Never noticed that until I saw the pics. The water itself is crystal clear. :fish2:

img_2057314_0_1d78af33ae1150b07a38d578d7a14feb.jpg

img_2057314_1_31c6a310b2489e123ee9c3c1307daeaf.jpg

Where they live:

img_2057314_2_539b92679912cd9984fef6572869cac6.jpg

RafasRumor said:
Awesome tank!!

Agreed, i can't wait to get a larger tank to play around with planting more.

Question though, I'm thinking of getting danios (never kept them before) but I hear they are good community fish and breed quite easily. Any confirm this? Also, are they good companions to guppies, panda corys, tetras?

Agreed, i can't wait to get a larger tank to play around with planting more.

Question though, I'm thinking of getting danios (never kept them before) but I hear they are good community fish and breed quite easily. Any confirm this? Also, are they good companions to guppies, panda corys, tetras?

I'm assuming your referring to regular zebra danios and not the giant? I can't speak for giant danios, but Z. Danios make great community fish ... I find mine bother each other ... Lots of chasing ... But nothing bad. LOTS of energy! They'll mostly stick to the upper parts of your tank so they'll rarely come in contact with bottom dwellers anyway.

jcolon said:
I'm assuming your referring to regular zebra danios and not the giant? I can't speak for giant danios, but Z. Danios make great community fish ... I find mine bother each other ... Lots of chasing ... But nothing bad. LOTS of energy! They'll mostly stick to the upper parts of your tank so they'll rarely come in contact with bottom dwellers anyway.

Sorry, yes normal sized zebra danios (or any danios) for that matter.

I only have guppies and the panda corys just now but will be parading my tank shortly from a 23l to 180l so hoping for more variety (thinking some shrimp for added bottom dwellers) but keen for some other breeding fish like danios. Heard they are quite hardy but I'm keen to understand ideal conditions for breeding as my guppies seem to have no problem whatsoever :)

hpiguy said:
I have no idea how folks catch these on film. Mine are so busy playing around and chasing random micro bubbles from the filter output that it's nearly impossible to get a shot.

Anyway, after a long hiatus from fish keeping, I set up my 55, and have finally added fish.

My first fish had to be giant danios. I love them.

I apologize not only for the bad focus, but for the water spotted glass. Never noticed that until I saw the pics. The water itself is crystal clear. :fish2:

Where they live:

Are they all real plants?

Are they all real plants?

At this moment, everything aside from the driftwood in the center is silk and plastic imitations.

I just don't have the time these days to do the planted tanks I once loved and kept. The roots on the left are an OSI resin product. On some of the closeups you can see the joints of the plants.

Once my schedule lightens up, I'll slowly replace each group of plants with it's real counterpart and use the artificials to start another tank.

I use a lot of AZOO (crazy inexpensive too) and Hagen Marina brand silks. Once they soak in the water a few days they become very lifelike. There are literally dozens of fake plants placed in this tank. If done right, they don't look too bad.

hpiguy said:
At this moment, everything aside from the driftwood in the center is silk and plastic imitations.

wow.... Even more impressive then. As much as I like the idea of a well planted tank I think I'll follow your example of synthetic plants with one or two real plants to start with, given my knowledge and experience of plants (and co2) tanks is limited, and replace out with real plants on an on-going basis.

Are there any plants that you would recommend that would look somewhat lifelike? Ive had issues in the past where I have bought long stemmed grass that fish would get caught in between stems.

Cool, I'm sure you'll like it. The very large plants going up the back/sides and across the top of the tank as cover are Tetra products. Tetra Water Wonders Hygrophila 24". Less than five bucks each.

Wow that's incredible :) I love real planted tanks but I don't have the time to maintain one right now.

They decided to behave for a group shot.

At this point their colors are very strong. Beautiful fish.

img_2071746_0_5ff11a68965d8d80a45379c230d653fb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom