Glueing Coral frags to rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I have some small corals I am wanting to attach to some rocks. I am assuming I just super glue the base of the coral to the rock. My question is won't I have to get the coral and rock dry for the glue to adhere. If the coral is out of the water for this wont that be stressfull and possibly damage the coral. Just looking for some advice on the best method to do this from someone who has done it before.

Just use some cyanoacrylate (super glue) gel. You don't need either the rock or the coral to be bone dry. This glue hardens in the presence of moisture so it's perfect for bondng corals to plugs, rock etc. I broke a small piece off an acro last night and glued it to a new plug. Instant frag. I also used it (the glue) to glue a front tooth (post and crown with a broken post) back in last night :D

From my understanding, make sure the adhesive you use to affix the frag to the plug covers all of the cut tissue at the base of the frag.

I use superglue gel all the time for fragging.
Even better, if it's available at your local hobby shops or fish stores is IC Gel brand glue.
It is a special superglue formula that is a favorite of fraggers.
It comes in a large purple and white tube, and the reason it's a favorite is because the tip doesn't clog even after being used several times.
I had one tube that I used over and over again for months without clogging like regular tubes of superglue.

Also to answer your question about the coral being out of water,... corals in the wild are frequently out of the water and bake in the sun for hours everyday at low tide all over the world.
Here is an eye-opening video of an entire coral reef out of the water at low tide in Fiji:
YouTube - Corals at low tide Fiji

And here is a photo of part of the Great Barrier Reef at low tide:

As you can see there's a lot of misconceptions when it comes to corals.
Sometimes during a big frag job or demonstration a coral might sit out of water for up to a half hour before getting put back in the tank.
Of course, I try to work quickly and avoid leaving it out for too long, but sometimes it happens.
The only one I every lost in this way was a leather that accidentally got left out overnight.
It might have actually made it till morning, but it was sitting right where the A/C vent blows down so it dried out completely before I found it.

Super glue gel is the way to go...IMHO. You can find it in larger quantities at hobby stores or the LFS. It is better then buying the tiny packs at the grocery store. As mentioned, most corals can withstand beig out of the water for a good period of time. I let mine cure for 10-15 minutes before I place them back into the tank. Just remember to place them in an area of low or no flow for a couple of days to make sure they adhere completely.

Back
Top Bottom