Gluing Rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bucsnut79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I apologize in advance if this is a ridiculous question. I am upgrading my fw tank to a 110. I plan on putting africans in the tank and am going with sand on the bottom, and building caves with river rock. I was just going to stack them, should I be gluing them? If so, what kind? I read super glue gel, if so.....do you have to wait to put it in the water? Any help would be appreciated.

IMO, you should definitely be gluing them. It makes it easier to form your caves and you have significantly less chance of a cave-in. I used to try to build caves without glue and I could never really get it to work the way I wanted.

As far as the type of glue is concerned, I would stick with only brands made specifically for aquariums as many glues can be toxic. I usually use epoxy...not the best but it's pretty cheap. You can get it at Petsmart, check here.

I wouldn't glue or silicone them... but thats just my personal opinion. You'll move them around numerous times until you find a way you like. You'll need to take them out once in a while to clean under everything to keep nitrate levels down. Here's what my tank looks like (rocks not glued).

img_1172416_0_ccac68c82a9656b1e0c30c293c6a6c22.jpg

Whether you glue or not, use egg crate under the sand. It will disperse the weight of the rocks.

I place rocks directly on the glass, the fish uncovered the eggcrate and it looked really bad. Just make sure the rocks are safely stacked and the fish can't escavate under.

Back
Top Bottom