Golden Wonder Killi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KushBush

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Our female golden wonder killi suddenly became very dark and scaly. Not sure if she's sick or not.... She's eating like a champ, ammonia and nitrates are fine. She's currently in a 120 gallon planted tank with loaches. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image-232508394.jpg
    image-232508394.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 69
Hi there,

Do you know your nitrItes? Are you testing with test strips or a liquid test kit? Could you post the exact numbers of ammonia and nitrates?

:thanks:

I use the API Freshwater Test kit for all my tanks (I have 10). The nitrates & nitrites are 0, the ammonia is 0 and the pH is 7.0. We only use R.O. water and aquarium salt and since it is a planted tank I do 10% water changes twice a week. Water parameters was my first suspicion as to why she was so discolored but if everything seems to be normal.... I'm out of ideas... :-/ hopefully with this info you can help.

Are you positvely sure it is 0 nitrates? When you test, I want you to shake the bejesus out of the nitrate bottle #2 for a good solid minute, if not shaken long enough it will produce false readings when you put it in the water.

Lol that's a common rookie mistake. I just remeasured though. Sorry for the quality pic... iPad sucks.

Attachments

• image-4131950916.jpg
    image-4131950916.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 64
Hmm. Strange. Is your tank heavily planted??? What plants do you have, if any?

Other than that, all I can say is that your killi is stressed out. Do you have any other fish in there besides the loaches?

We have a sword with leaves about 12 inches long and a small square of christmas moss on the ground that was planted 2 months ago. We'll probably have to wait about 1.5 - 2 yrs to cover the bottom of the tank. 2 Burmese loaches, 2 yoyo loaches, 2 skunk loaches and 2 zebra loaches and that one platy. We had a male killi in with her about 3 months ago but removed him (thinking that he was stressing her out).... But 3 months later she still looks like death. I guess I could try putting her in a different tank.... But a 120 seems like more than enough room for all the fish. Maybe I should get her a female killi friend and see if she gets any better... I'm ready to try anything at this point.

Back
Top Bottom