Goldfish in tropical fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
My brother brought home a small (around 1-2 inch.) goldfish from a carnival. I have a 30g tank with 3 Albino Cory Catfish, a female Betta, a Marineland Penguin 150, and a Steal-Pro heater set at 78 degrees F. Can I safely add the goldfish to this set-up? I realize that goldfish need much, much larger tanks and do not require heaters, but this is my only option besides let him put it in a .5 gallon bowl.

If you have no other option IMO it will be ok for the short term until you can find somewhere else for it. Goldfish don't do well in higher temperatures and require different diets to many tropical fish. Carnival fish can have disease from the poor water conditions they are kept in. Something to keep in mind.

If you have no other option IMO it will be ok for the short term until you can find somewhere else for it. Goldfish don't do well in higher temperatures and require different diets to many tropical fish. Carnival fish can have disease from the poor water conditions they are kept in. Something to keep in mind.
Okay I just found a friend that has a large pond and several goldfish, would it be safe to add it in there? I have no experience with goldfish ponds. Is it okay to introduce a small goldfish in with large (fully grown) goldfish? She says they have been in the pond for over a year and healthy, and you said carnival goldfish can carry disease, so I really don't want to introduce a disease into her pond and her healthy fish end up dead, how do I tell if the goldfish has disease?

Could you or your friend with the pond set up a quarantine tank? Nothing giant or long term, just something to monitor for sickness.

As said, it will need to be quarantined. A large storage tub will be enough. No need for a filter just an air stone and something to hide in/under. Chang the water daily and monitor the fish for 2-4 weeks. Look for growths, spots, sores, clamped fins, fuzz, gasping, red gills and shredded fins.

Back
Top Bottom