Goldfish missing a few scales?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkhymn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a juvenile common (feeder) goldfish (6 or so months old, got him from a fair in August) who seems to be missing a few scales in a vertical line just below the leading edge of his dorsal fin.
(S)He's currently living in a 10 gallon tank (I know this is insufficient, he'll be moving to a 20 tall this weekend and likely a 55 in February once it's cycled) that has been up for about two months. Ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate is at 40, I'll be doing a pwc tonight and another in the morning. Water temperature is 73F.
Filter is a 200 gph Aquaclear 50 HOB with the media it shipped with (sponge, carbon, bio bag).
(S)He's pperhaps 3 1/4" long . Tankmates are a juvenile bristlenose pleco who's about an inch long, and five young harlequin rasboras who are perhaps an inch long.
I do two 25% water changes weekly involving a deep gravel clean and test my water parameters just before and just after each water change in order to ascertain need for additional changes (such as today).
The tank decor consists of a smallish cave and a handful of plastic plants that have been with this fish from day one. S(He) eats a combination of TetraFin floating goldfish pellets, Omega One "color flakes" (for the rasboras, primarily), Omega One veggie rounds (for the pleco, mostly), and nibbles of the occasional pea or zucchini. Diet has not changed in several weeks.

I took a few photos. This one attached is, sadly, the clearest.

Any thoughts? Research suggests it could be a bacterial infection, but I don't want to stress the fish out by moving to qt or treat for the wrong thing.

Attachments

• IMG_20150122_190309.jpg
    IMG_20150122_190309.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 115
he's most likely growing , I've seen that with mine when they go into there growing spirts
see the one to the back he's missing a few .
img_3141573_0_82a2d95605954cdd6bfc01ae102b9c1f.jpg

Thanks for the reply. This helps me put my mind at ease. It's been more than 15 years since my last goldfish so I have no idea what I'm dealing with!

one day there small than they go into a growing spurt and pow there big lol
I always buy the feeders to raise as there cheap start out around a 1/2 inch and all the way up to about a foot ,the 2 I have now are about 8 inch , i figure by summer they should burst out the last 4inch.

Honestly goldfish just sometimes lose scales from knocking about in the tank. My males often lose the odd one when they chase the females. They heal quickly but before I know it there missing another one cause they been mucking about round an ornament or sniffing about too roughly on a plant. Unless they lose a lot all at once I wouldn't worry

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom