Goldfish problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldenGirl13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm hoping someone can help me out, I have a medium sized fantail goldfish with what appears to be a long "string" underneath his scales. It's on both sides and runs nearly from head to fin. I'm thinking maybe a parasite but no clue what kind or what to do. This fish is usually a big eater, and he still eats but not like normal. I feed him goldfish crumbles and shelled pea with the occasional spinach or lettuce leaf.

He is in a 20 gallon tank with a waterfall type filter and an air stone. Neighbors are a smallish Pleco and a mystery snail. I don't currently have a test kit, lfs says water quality is good. I do a 25-30 percent water change once per week and a 10 percent water change once a week. The tank has been set up since early February and it cycled normally.

In the picture you can see what I'm talking about.

Its his lateral line. It is a bit more pronounced on your fish than I typically see in goldfish but its not a parasite, so do not worry! I would increase your water changes to atleast 50% a week and make sure he has a healthy diet that includes daily veggies.

Thanks, and I suspected I might not be changing the water enough.

Now he's at the surface and seems to be breathing air :-\ something is definitely up with him. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 50 gallon next week...

That lateral line only became visible in the past 24 hours which is why I'm worried...

Are you in the US or another country? If he had looked like this from purchase, I would not be overly concerned. If they appeared overnight, something is amiss.

I'm in the US and no he definitely didnt have them when I got him. He's always been a healthy fish til now. I think I may have to buy a testing kit tomorrow to check my water for sure.

What exactly are his other symptoms? Do his eyes look at all strange or bulgy? Are his scales smooth and flat or a bit rough or lifted? Is he bloated at all? I suspect he may be on the cusp of a serious situation here.

His scales are shiny and flat, eyes look fine and he doesn't appear bloated, but has been hanging out at the top of the tank lately for air. He barely swims around just floats in the same corner :(

Another thing I noticed this morning was his color is faded slightly. He used to look like he was wearing orange lipstick lol but now his lips are almost white.

This is my suggestion. First an API fw kit is really a must here as we do not know what is going on with your water. Test it and let us know the exact ppms of everything. Then do a big wc.

Next, I would pick up enough API General Cure to treat him for atleast 10 days, though 14 would be preferable. I would prefer if he had Metromeds instead of treating the tank but as they would have to be ordered from the Goldfish Connection and will not arrive until sometime next week, the GC will have to suffice. The GC needs to be dosed once every 48hrs with a big wc before dosing. Make sure there is no carbon in the filter.

Additionally, I would pick up a container of epsom salt to have on hand. Any drug or grocery store will have them in the first aid section for $1-2. You can also give him an epsom salt bath daily (1tsp/g for 15-20mins) in a separate bucket to see if this helps with the floatiness. Please ask if you have questions!

Back
Top Bottom