Golfish's swollen stomach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah1987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can somebody tell me why my goldfish's stomach is swollen?
I've recently had some ammonia problems in the water which are being sorted..
Would be grateful of some expert advice....

could be constipation, if so, try feeding peas instead of flakes or their normal food for a day.

could be constipation, if so, try feeding peas instead of flakes or their normal food for a day.

Have given it some peas wil see if they help..
Dont think its pregnant, heard they dont really mate in tanks
Thanx for the info

Just wondering how big is your tank and how many fish are in it?? I am NO expert In goldfishies so idk just thought I would throw that out there if it was a possabality

Na it's scales look normal, its stomachs still bit swollen today but its not acting strangely anymore, seemed a little off balance yesterday prob through the bloated stomach..
Im keeping a close eye on it
Getting the ammonia tester kit tomorrow as the pet shop had to order some in as they dont get sold ..shows how many ppl care to do the tests round here!
mind you like me, they prob never heard of them til they research..
My tank is about 35gallon with 5 common goldfish

you might find that you have high ammonia because your tank is a bit crowded. common goldfish will eventually outgrow your tank all together and probably need a pond of some sort. with fancies i believe 20g is recommended for 1 plus another 10g for every additional fish. your fish may be ok in the tank for now but will eventually outgrow the space. not to mention the bioload, what kind of filter are you running? goldfish pee a lot more than most fish, which means more ammonia to process. you can pick up the entire API Freshwater Master test kit at walmart for $18 bucks, with free site to store shipping or 97 cent shipping to your house. it's much cheaper than getting the tests one at a time, unless of course all you can afford is one at a time (which is the way i bought it). you may want to up your maintenance routine until you get your kits, JIC

you might find that you have high ammonia because your tank is a bit crowded. common goldfish will eventually outgrow your tank all together and probably need a pond of some sort. with fancies i believe 20g is recommended for 1 plus another 10g for every additional fish. your fish may be ok in the tank for now but will eventually outgrow the space. not to mention the bioload, what kind of filter are you running? goldfish pee a lot more than most fish, which means more ammonia to process. you can pick up the entire API Freshwater Master test kit at walmart for $18 bucks, with free site to store shipping or 97 cent shipping to your house. it's much cheaper than getting the tests one at a time, unless of course all you can afford is one at a time (which is the way i bought it). you may want to up your maintenance routine until you get your kits, JIC

Yeah i was thinkin it may be a little crowded for when they grow. my mom has a tank with 2 goldies in n shes thinkin of gettin a huge tank so mayb she can house 1 or 2 of my small 1s.. couldnt bear 2 part with them but its must to stop them gettin sick.
Afraid am gona have to stick to the single tests til i get abit more cash but for future ref do you know how i can order 1 from walmart US to UK? Any websites etc u no of?
Thanx again for ur help..
Ps jus wonderin, where did u gain all ur knowledge?!

I got mine from making mistakes like yours and then following good advice experienced fishkeepers. There was no web back then... We are all luckier these days to have resources like AA!

I got mine from making mistakes like yours and then following good advice experienced fishkeepers. There was no web back then... We are all luckier these days to have resources like AA!

Thats true.. my goldies were abandoned so i took them in so have had to start from fresh on my knowledge.. this site, (well the friendly ppl on here) been a great help.. suppose the knowledge and wisdom comes with experience cos after a week on here my brains tryin to take in all the info cos theres so much to know lol!

Yeah i was thinkin it may be a little crowded for when they grow. my mom has a tank with 2 goldies in n shes thinkin of gettin a huge tank so mayb she can house 1 or 2 of my small 1s.. couldnt bear 2 part with them but its must to stop them gettin sick.
Afraid am gona have to stick to the single tests til i get abit more cash but for future ref do you know how i can order 1 from walmart US to UK? Any websites etc u no of?
Thanx again for ur help..
Ps jus wonderin, where did u gain all ur knowledge?!

lol sorry i guess i didn;t notice you are in the UK :D sorry. and i gained my knowledge a lot from this forum, from talking to people who are knowledgable, and reading a lot around on the internet. i have a couple months experience under my belt but as you know, in the aquarium world that's not much. :D

I've been keeping freshwater fish for over 20 years and still feel completely lost sometimes.

Well looks like i'll be learning for some time yet!! lol
I never realised how much more there is to know bout them!
Mind you, they live in a totally diff world to us so theres always new things to find out and i'm glad to be building daily on my knowledge.
Thanx guys
x

Been a while since I emmigrated, but if I remember correctly Asda is a Walmart company, so that would be the first UK place I would try.
Failing that, try Ebay.

Been a while since I emmigrated, but if I remember correctly Asda is a Walmart company, so that would be the first UK place I would try.
Failing that, try Ebay.

Yeah actually never thought of that.. i got some single tests which had to b ordered in to pet shop n my levels all seem ok.. chlorine is 0 at the moment :) prob cos of all the part water changes i been doin, so will continue with that and got some better water conditioner too.. Will try Asda though see if they do the complete kit..
Thanx for reply
x

Back
Top Bottom