Gourami ill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mokapi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I feel bad that I only come here to get advice, but...everyone is so good at the advice.

I had ich a few months ago, finally got that cleared up, added new stock, and now my male gourami has something wrong. I've had him pre-ich, so several months. I bought him as a dwarf cinnamon, but he's probably three inches long now. He grew really rapidly. About a month ago, I noticed his eyes going cloudy/gray (they look like they're bulging a bit?), and his color is fading. It started at his dorsal fin and has spread along his back, to his head and a little bit on his tail. He's acting like he's having difficulty seeing (like whatever has happened to his eyes has blinded him, maybe?) and his using his little pelvic fins a lot more. I wouldn't call him lethargic, but he definitely stays up near the top. I've never had a gourami last this long with a pH as high as mine (like 8.0/8.2 or something), so I'm not really surprised something's finally gone wrong with him.

The rest of the fish appear to be fine. Is this something contagious where I need to remove him? I've been told that gouramis are really prone to bacterial infections, but I'm really no good with identifying the illnesses apart from ich and velvet. The tank parameters are healthy for the most part. Occasionally I'll have an ammonia spike up to .25, but nothing else.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom