Gravel question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dxbeast8508

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am setting up my 40g and I was just curious what kind of substrates people use. I want to stay with some type of gravel or pebble. Thing is, that much river stone is so expensive. Has anyone ever used the river pebbles from the garden section in a store? Aside from rinsing and possibly boiling, would there be any other risks? I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to do pet store black gravel or natural river stones. If I went with the river stones, could I use garden stones? From the garden section?

Dxbeast8508 said:
I am setting up my 40g and I was just curious what kind of substrates people use. I want to stay with some type of gravel or pebble. Thing is, that much river stone is so expensive. Has anyone ever used the river pebbles from the garden section in a store? Aside from rinsing and possibly boiling, would there be any other risks? I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to do pet store black gravel or natural river stones. If I went with the river stones, could I use garden stones? From the garden section?

I got my gravel at PetSmart it looks nice too my Cory's are doing great on them so far. Unfortunately I know nothing about using the rivers stones or garden stones

Stephen Rollins said:
I got my gravel at PetSmart it looks nice too my Cory's are doing great on them so far. Unfortunately I know nothing about using the rivers stones or garden stones

Very pretty!!! I was thinking of going with the natural river stones like you have, but I'm torn between black gravel too. If I went with the river stone natural, I would like to try the cheaper way, if I could (use garden stones instead). They look the same... Maybe someone has used them. We'll see.

Dxbeast8508 said:
Very pretty!!! I was thinking of going with the natural river stones like you have, but I'm torn between black gravel too. If I went with the river stone natural, I would like to try the cheaper way, if I could (use garden stones instead). They look the same... Maybe someone has used them. We'll see.

Sorry I can't answer your question about the garden stone. In one of my aquariums I used what I had left over which was a dark green & a small amount of the natural gravel. I put the dark down and then layered the other on top & made some rock piles of the even larger stones I also had left over. My tank is only a 10g, it looks better than I thought it would especially with the light on. Here's a pic., the lighter gravel was just enough.

image-3460765111.jpg

I'm curious about an answer to your question as I'm about to set up a 30-40g tank myself & would LOVE to spend a little less.

Fishandmusic81 said:
If your not oppose to getting sand you can get 50 pounds of pool filter sand for about $10 and it won't effect your ph or anything

I decided on black gravel. Sand is pretty in a tank.

Back
Top Bottom