green algae and brown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unclemd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just set up a new Salt water aquarium just over a week ago.
10 Gallon tank
10lbs of live rock
54 watts of 6500K florescent lighting
14 watts of actinic lighting
ph 8.2
ammonia as high as the scale reads
nitrites as high as the scale reads
nitrates as high as the scale reads
Calcium 280 mg/L
Tank is being cycled i was told to waite to do the water change till after it is finished cycleling. yesterday i noticed on the rocks that there was some brown algae growing then today i checked the tank again and there was green hair like algae growing. Is this serious or is it normal new tank syndrome and how can i get rid of it?

Attachments

• img_0899_534.jpg
    img_0899_534.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 31
  • img_0900_139.jpg
    img_0900_139.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 32
  • img_0901_643.jpg
    img_0901_643.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 31
The brown might be diatoms, quite normal in newer tanks, although I haven't seen them that early in the cycle. I'm also not sure why you have ammonia/nitrItes/nitrAtes all off the chart, have you comfirmed with your LFS? Have them test your water.
The hair, looks like hair algae. It likes high nitrAtes and phosphates and will take over your tank. I am also wondering how it is in your tank while in the cycle. Was it already on the rock when you got it? I have a new LFS store that is selling LR for $7.50 with hair algae all over it! LOL!

8lbs of my live rock come from a new shipment the lfs just received and never had time to put it back in their tank to recur. when i place the rock in the tank and did an ammonia test it was at a spike. I just assumed the the ammonia spike was from die off from the rock. the other 2lbs of rock came from an established tank at the lfs which had a bit of green algae on it. Is their anyway to prevent the hair algae from taking the tank over.

unclemd said:
Is their anyway to prevent the hair algae from taking the tank over.
I agree they are diatoms normal in new systems .
For the GHA I would say manual scrubbing and keeping the phosphates in check will help you there :D

Back
Top Bottom