Green algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

780fishguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all.
I have a 75g mbuna tank. 5 yellow labs, 6 yellow tail acei, 5 mpanga elongatus.
Filtration is sunsun303b, fluval u2, fluval u3, one 40gph power head. So around 500-600 gph filtration. 1 4 foot t8 5500k lamp.
Recently I have been getting algea blooms, just the green stuff and it's covering my sand quite quickly. I don't want to add algea gone supplements as I enjoy algea on all my rocks for the mbuna to nibble at. Feedings are once daily and lights are on for 10 on 14 off.
Anyone know a way to reduce algea on sand? It's quite heavy when it settles and a larger power head did not help. Again I don't want to remove all algea just minimize it on sand, if I stir it or vacuum it it's back in 8 hrs.
Any advice would be great, thanks!

Hello all.
I have a 75g mbuna tank. 5 yellow labs, 6 yellow tail acei, 5 mpanga elongatus.
Filtration is sunsun303b, fluval u2, fluval u3, one 40gph power head. So around 500-600 gph filtration. 1 4 foot t8 5500k lamp.
Recently I have been getting algea blooms, just the green stuff and it's covering my sand quite quickly. I don't want to add algea gone supplements as I enjoy algea on all my rocks for the mbuna to nibble at. Feedings are once daily and lights are on for 10 on 14 off.
Anyone know a way to reduce algea on sand? It's quite heavy when it settles and a larger power head did not help. Again I don't want to remove all algea just minimize it on sand, if I stir it or vacuum it it's back in 8 hrs.
Any advice would be great, thanks!
Hi 780fishguy:

Have you checked your nitrate level recently? Do you have a test kit for phosphate? Those two are sometimes behind algae blooms. I agree with you about not using algaecides. It might help at this point if you could rule out excessive nitrate and/or phosphate, or plan to to reduce them if they're on the high side? I have well water with fairly high phosphate so I run PhosGuard in my filters; that and water changes to control the nitrate usually lets me keep the algae from getting out of hand.

I keep an eye on my nitrates and do 10% water changes every day or 2. I will find a test for phosphate, that could be the solution!
Do you always leave the phosguard in your filter? Or just periodically add it.

I keep an eye on my nitrates and do 10% water changes every day or 2. I will find a test for phosphate, that could be the solution!
Do you always leave the phosguard in your filter? Or just periodically add it.
Yes, I have to run the Phosguard continuously because of the level in my well water.

Back
Top Bottom