Green Spot Algae Blues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robotman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Fish Friends.

I am having trouble getting rid of some Green Spot Algae (diatoms) "GSA".

It's in 160g freshwater tank - set up about 4 months
Only on walls.
Extremely difficult to get off acrylic - tried credit card trick, doesn't work and actually scratched acrylic a bit (or credit card rubbed off on acrylic with the force I had to use).
Flourite substrate
No plants (thanks to Silver Dollars)
Half tank covered with blanket to block outside light
LED Light on lowest setting for about 8 hours since problem occurred (probably was on too high which may have triggered initial problem)
UV Sterilizer inline
Nitrates < 10 !!

I have scoured (no pun intended) the internet for some basic answers about GSA and surprisingly can't find some consistent basic answers:

- Does GSA eventually "fall off" / "dissolve" back into the water or am I destined to need to scrub very hard all over my acrylic tank? I've seen some things say it will "go away" but not if existing GSA will dissolve off the walls. Since it is such a big tank, it's hard to reach the back walls and I can't get behind it.

- What is causing this and how do I get rid of it?! I've had very little light and very low nitrates and the stuff is still growing. I've tried adding Excel which some people claim helps, but that didn't do anything either. :-(

- Some people suggest adjusting phosphates, but since my tank is NOT planted, will this have an effect? If so, do I increase or decrease? I see both!

- Will a silicate remover help? The only ones I can find also remove phosphate which seems to contradict any advice that I need to adjust the phosphate level!

Appreciate your help very much!!

Attachments

• GSA 800x800 (2013_0424).jpg
    GSA 800x800 (2013_0424).jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 56

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom