Grrrrr...........My tank is green again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
After winning the battle with some serious GW last spring, now it's back again....I just did a major rescaping a few weeks ago, and I'm guessing that since almost all of the plants in the tank were uprooted and moved, that slowed their growth down, they didn't take up the nutrients as fast, and that let the GW get the upper hand. So I'm gonna back off dosing for a while and break out the ol' diatom filter....

Pic soon as to what it looks like...not as bad as the last time when it was a solid fluorescent green box, but it's getting there!

I have heard of people making a sump chamber full of daphnia, which supposedly gorge themselves on GW, and can eradicate it pretty quickly. I think they called them Daphnia Reactors.

Zezmo said:
Since you have that Diatom filter, GW should be pretty easy to fix ;-)

My thoughts exactly Zez.

Backing off on your dosing should help.........but I think in general........ppl dose too much.

I'm good at forgetting, so i think I usually err on the side of not enough. But with almost all the plants in the tank busy growing new roots, and the fact that I have a lot of light and pretty high bioload, things got out of whack.

Here's the tank now:

P1020764.JPG

The fish are still happy, at least what I can see of them!

P1020766.JPG

So I must have some sort of super-green water....here's the tank after 1.5 hours of diatom filtering! Definite improvement, but a looong way to go. The fish are glaring at me as I have now kept them up way past their bedtime, so more filtering will have to wait until tomorrow. Off to backwash the D-filter!

P1020772.JPG

Tank looks great, minus the GW. I think the diatom filter is the greatest invention for the aquarist for easy tank cleanup! You probably got a slight ammonia spike during the uprooting which caused the GW, but that has probably been taken care of with the bacteria and GW by now. Just keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrIte levels after you get the tank crystal clear for a day or two to make sure you still don't have any residual levels.

Back
Top Bottom