halloween crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alLexX

Aquarium Advice Addict
i would like to know if these guys are brackish water or freshwater. once i upgrade,i would like to change my 20 long to a terrarium(liable to change at any moment) for one of these guys. would sand,dirt,peat moss, or a mixture be better substrate? thanks in advance

Is this the crab you are looking at Halloween crab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or this one Saltwater Aquarium Crabs for Marine Aquariums: Halloween Hermit Crab I am sure there are other halloween crabs as well.
definitely not the second,the one im looking at is a land crab.it may be the first,from the research i did there are a couple different species called halloween crabs,but they have close to the same care. the only thing im not sure on is brackish or fresh water.

Gecarcinus quadratus Seems like a good place to start. Their info is usually quite accurate. They are land crabs, so a completely terrestrial environment with a water bowl is probably the way to go. http://www.ots.ac.cr/tropiweb/attachments/volumes/vol55-1/22-Griffiths-Dry.pdf That's an article on the distribution of halloween crabs. Reading through it should give you some info. From what it says, I would assume they need high humidity and probably access to both fresh and salt water. It also says they prefer a sand substrate.

--Adeeb

Gecarcinus quadratus Seems like a good place to start. Their info is usually quite accurate. They are land crabs, so a completely terrestrial environment with a water bowl is probably the way to go. http://www.ots.ac.cr/tropiweb/attachments/volumes/vol55-1/22-Griffiths-Dry.pdf That's an article on the distribution of halloween crabs. Reading through it should give you some info. From what it says, I would assume they need high humidity and probably access to both fresh and salt water. It also says they prefer a sand substrate.

--Adeeb
thanks,my computer wouldnt let me read the second:( if i get 1 ill use sand. and give them fresh and salt water.

Back
Top Bottom