Hammer coral propagation help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I tried fragging my branching hammer coral and when it broke off it split into three different pieces straight down the middle of it. I glued the three pieces of the hammer coral onto rocks with super glue and now I am concerned as if the corals will repair themselves and still grow right. Will the hammer coral survive? Oh I also fragged an acropora which went alright. I'll post pics on another post.

Thanks,
Josh

If you just broke the skeleton, you don't have anything to worry about. If you ripped the polyp, your (for lack of a better word) screwed

You want to frag them way down from the head. You can see a color change in the stony branch where you should cut. I have never done a hammer but I have fragged my candy cane. I always try to only frag separate branches as well.

Joshsmit56001 said:
I am not sure if it is just the skeleton. One of them has already started to open again and it has only been like 30 minutes so that is a good sign.

were there 3 heads total before you fragged it and are the same 3 heads still intact? If so then you are okay

HTH

You should be fine. Watch the soft tissue for brown jelly. If you find this immedatly syphon off as much jelly as you can. Try not to disturb the jelly and get it into the water stream. If a head is nearly consumed with jelly save the colony by removing the infected head.

The best way to frag a hammer coral is to get a sharp chisel and hammer and split it at the base of a branch.

Like the others say if you broke the stem part you will be fine.
They are one of the corals that do not have to be glued to LR to live.. I like the heads to be off lr for easy placing.
Hope all goes well.. Fragging corals is fun and its nice to have things to trade and sell. Its nice when the tank can start paying for itself.

Back
Top Bottom