Hardening water for shrimp - Substrate ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
I have soft water with from the tap almost 0 KH and low GH and wanted to add a new substrate to my shrimp tank when I do a total clean out on it soon.

This tank will be used for some Tangerine Tiger or OEBT. I figure I can use a remineralizer for the water part of this. Recommendations and reasons accepted.

Along these same lines of thought, I'm considering Cardinal shrimp down the road when I get the water thing figured out, and they prefer a very hard water.

Any opinions about using Cichlid sand or something? Most other substrates for shrimp lower/buffer pH.

I don't have much experience changing my water in this way. Open for discussion... Thanks!

Crushed coral or cichlid sand will both affect pH in addition to hardness. I would suggest placing a bag of crushed coral in your filter. That way you can pull it if you need to without tearing down the whole tank.

Hadn't really considered something removable - That makes sense.

My pH ranges from 7.2 in winter to 6.2-6.4 for around 8 months ~

If Cichlid sand is used, does it usually set the pH a certain amount above normal or 8 or does any one know?

Then the same with coral as a substrate, would that just keep increasing the hardness and pH?

Hadn't really considered something removable - That makes sense.

My pH ranges from 7.2 in winter to 6.2-6.4 for around 8 months ~

If Cichlid sand is used, does it usually set the pH a certain amount above normal or 8 or does any one know?

Then the same with coral as a substrate, would that just keep increasing the hardness and pH?

Yes, I believe that the cichlid sand buffers the water to a pH around 8, I know that the crushed coral will usually maintain 8.1 or so.

Another and probably the best option is using salty shrimp, it's what most shrimp keepers use. For the cardinal shrimp you'll want the salty shrimp 8.5.

With my Cardinals I mix rodi water with my well water to get the right ph and tds.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom