Harlequin filefish starving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tracers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I usually do research fish before buying them but this time I listened to the "expert" I have a LFS that's usually reliable. But not this time. Yesterday i bought a beautiful filefish not knowing he only eats acorpora coral ?. I think he looks too thin already! I have tried feeding mysis, flakes and emerald green he has no interest. I do have Kenya tree aiptasia and feather dusters in the tank. Does anyone in the Cleveland Ohio area have dying coral I could try feeding him?

I usually do research fish before buying them but this time I listened to the "expert" I have a LFS that's usually reliable. But not this time. Yesterday i bought a beautiful filefish not knowing he only eats acorpora coral dde1f. I think he looks too thin already! I have tried feeding mysis, flakes and emerald green he has no interest. I do have Kenya tree aiptasia and feather dusters in the tank. Does anyone in the Cleveland Ohio area have dying coral I could try feeding him?

image-1509308519.jpg

Here is a picture of him

Wow...I've never kept filefish, but read up on these guys. They are. "Expert only" and really sound like high end expert until you can ween them off corals. Check out the bluezoo aquatics site if you have not already. They actually offer staff help and a "starter kit" for these fish, which I have never seen, even for an expert fish. Also a reference to an article.

My honest opinion is take it back to your LFS and they should take it back. It's pretty bad that they sold it in the first ace without being sure you knew exactly what you needed to do.

like Todd said if you notice condition is steadily decreasing then the LFS would be my first stop. Although, when I got my coral beauty it didnt eat for like 2 weeks before it starting nipping at things so if you want to order something online or look around for a substantial food source you have time just pay close attention to the fishes condition. My heart goes out to you goodluck!

Thanks. I talked with the owner and he is willing to refund me the money. He says the fish was eating copods. I have bought some gel food and have it spread on a coral I've seen him nip at it and my Kenya tree so I'm going to try and be patient but if he looks thinner in the next few days I will return him.

image-4029253874.jpg

As you can see the other fish found the food

Back
Top Bottom