Harlequin Rasboras enjoy being sucked into siphon during water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sum22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today, as I was doing my weekly gravel siphoning and water change, my harlequin rasboras decided to pull an odd trick. As I was siphoning water out, they decided to swim under the siphon, being sucked into the tube.

I immediately pulled the siphon out, thus releasing them from the suction. I'd get the siphon started again, walk away for 30 seconds and come back to find a couple of them swimming around in the tube again, trying to get away from the suction.

I found it very comical that they kept getting themselves sucked into the tube and that they seemed to enjoy it. I've always wondered if the fish would be crazy enough to end up in the tube, yet I've never had it happen until today.

Just thought I would share a silly fish story.

one of my bolivian rams always goes for the siphon tube. Silly fish. When they aren't doing that they're swimming through the bubbles of the airstone like kids running through a sprinkler system.

I was doing a water change one time and I looked down in the bucket I was about to dump and saw a fish. I thought it was maybe swordtail fry. Turned out to be a neon. Scooped him up and put him back in there. He seemed fine.

Silly fishies :silly:

My betta doesn't pay attention to the suction tube but he loves to play in the new water that I pump up into the tank. Bettas don't like current, and I'm sure my betta wouldn't like it all the time, but he always plays in the little vortex that the new water makes :)

Back
Top Bottom