Has anyone used API cycle quick start? (I accidentally killed my beneficial bacteria)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Basically, what happened was I medicated my tank with Triple Sulfa from API and it has caused my beneficial bacteria to die causing ammonia spikes of 1-2ppm. I thought I was doing good for my fish (a few had some white stuff on them) but I have now caused stressful ammonia levels and the fish look WORSE.

My tank has been running well for 2 years, no problems all healthy. 6 months ago I brought 3 new neons to add to my current school and silly me didn't QT new fish and all 3 died and left some type of fungus/disease to my healthy fish (thats the white stuff I was talking about) It was defiantly the triple sulfa that killed my beneficial bacteria because straight after medicating I noticed symptoms of ammonia poisoning.

I guess you live and learn.. all I can do now is tackle this ammonia problem. People have been advising me to do 50 per cent water changes every day until the ammonia settles its self out. I am also thinking of purchasing 'API quick start cycle' (this is a product that you add to the tank and it contains beneficial bacteria)

Anyone have any tips? Please note- i don't own a second fish tank.
Do you agree that I keep up with the 50 percent WC daily? How long until this problem resolves itself?

Water changes seem like the way to go. Most bacteria-in-a-bottle is garbage. You can try it, but I doubt it'll work. I've heard good things about tetra safestart, but that's it.

Really, I would see if you could find a friend with a tank and seed your tank from their filter.

Water changes seem like the way to go. Most bacteria-in-a-bottle is garbage. You can try it, but I doubt it'll work. I've heard good things about tetra safestart, but that's it.

Really, I would see if you could find a friend with a tank and seed your tank from their filter.

Thanks for your reply.

I would love to seed the tank but surprisingly enough im the only one I know who owns fish. Most people I am in contact with own dogs and/or cats.

I've heard good things about dr time one and only

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Has anyone used API cycle quick start? (I accidentally killed my beneficial b...

I use API quick start in my quarantine/hospital tank, seemed to work in there so i also used it to speed up the cycle in my 90ltr after wiping out the bb. I did a dose every 2nd day for 1 week, even though the bottle says it only needs 1 dose. fish in since day 1: 10 neons 8 harlequin rasboras, day 3: 1 gbr, day 5: 5 galaxy rasboras, got readings of a cycled tank in a bit over a week, 6 weeks in and havent had any problems

Back
Top Bottom