Hawkfish Drama

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oxleyr11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first post ever on aquariumadvice so I apolocize if it's in the wrong section.

But anways I have a 35 gallon tank with only live rock and a Longnose Hawkfish that has been in for about 3 weeks. Ten days ago I bought a Male Lyretail Anthis at a LFS. First few days he was doing alright, even thought I would occasionally see the Hawk chase and nip at him.Then on the 3rd day he was looking a little pale and weak. By the 4th he was dead.

I have a friend that gave me a pair of Ocellaris Clowns, one orange one black. Anyone think they're a better fit than the Anthias?

According to Liveaquaria:

The Lyretail Anthias does best when kept in a group and housed in a species-specific aquarium of at least 125 gallons in size. Male Lyretail Anthias are best kept alone or with several females. Though the Lyretail Anthias generally occupy the middle of the aquarium, it appreciates the availability of several hiding places.

As far as the compatibility - both the Anthias and the Clowns should be compatable with the hawk.

I agree the lyretails need a bigger tank and it was most likely stressed in the smaller tank. However, if it was the hawk that killed him, the clowns shouldn't take his crap lol. Mine wouldn't haha, but every fish is different.

Yeah thanks guys. The guy at a LFS basically sold me on the Anthias as well even after he knew my tank size and situation. Guess I should do better research, or stick to my usual LFS where the owner is more than informant enough.

Anyways the clowns look like theyre doing great. I seen the hawk get curious a few times, but the clowns are equally as curious and surprisingly fiesty.

Back
Top Bottom