Headed to store- need plant advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm headed to the store in an hour, what plants should I get?
33 long
Flourite with DW
6500k 36" fluorescent bulb, I think 35 watts
Currently has Vals, Anubias nana, and anarchis, all doing very well

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anyone help please?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Thank you!

Do any of those carpet? I was so excited my Vals started to pearl today!

Is API Carbon booster good?

API is pretty good.. more concentrated than Excel, so you use a bit less. None of the glut' products work as well as CO2, but they certainly do help. You can also buy Metricide 14, which usually comes with a small container, that you toss out. The small container is an additive to make it into an industrial cleaner. It's about twice as concentrated as Excel, so you use only half as much. Compare the percentage of glut in Metricide to the percentage of glut in the product you're using or thinking of using, so as to be sure of the right dose of Metricide, if you choose to go that way. It's also much cheaper to use than API or Excel.

You could grow many of the easier plants and some of the not so easy ones too, provided you fertilize regularly. Making your own ferts' from the basic chemicals is by far the cheapest way, but you can buy liquid ferts too.. such as Flourish, to name but one. Bacopa carolinina, Hygrophila difformis or angustifolia should do ok for you, guppy grass, [if you can find it], cypress helferi, which is a vertical grasslike plant that grows in clumps, rather than a long runners, like vals do. Potamageton gayi is another pretty one that's not hard to grow.

If you get swords, substrate fert tabs are needed for them to really do well. They are heavy root feeders, so unless you have a dirt tank, they need ferts in their gravel.

I was going to get flourish but instead picked up the carbon stuff and leaf zone on sale along with crypt wenditii, a java fern, and a sword

Well, those are all easy enough. Do not, under any circumstance, bury the rhizome on the fern. It will rot. Best tied to a piece of wood or roughish rock, they will grow wiry, thin black roots that will eventually become attached to such things.

Same goes for anubias, if you get any. Never bury the rhizome. Does well tied to wood, especially. Roots will eventually reach into the substrate, but they just don't survive if the rhizome gets buried.

I had my Anubias on wood but it didn't attach, so I put just the roots in the substrate between some of my wood.

It takes quite a long time for the roots to take hold. You have to tie it on and be patient. Many months at least, before it will stay on without any help. Ferns are a bit quicker to take hold, but patience is still needed. Use thread that won't show, or fishline, and just let it be. Eventually roots will attach.

I didn't really like where it was anyway though

Is this invert safe? The ingredients for Aqueon water clarifier are-
Deionized water
Aluminum chlorohydrate
Polyelectrolytes

Why water clarifier ? If you have cloudy water, it can be a bacterial bloom and the clarifiers don't usually work on that. If it's particles, they'll clump them together to make them easier to filter out. Does the bottle say it works by flocculation ? Or that it clumps particles together ?

Far as I know, this type of product is pretty harmless, but adding floss to the filter if you don't have any will likely polish the water just fine. If it is a bacterial bloom, there's a good article, but I'll have to go find it. I might need it myself, I'm seeing some clouding in my frog tank, which 'til now has always been crystal clear.

It was my dad's idea, I personally know it's a waste of money but. You know

Yes it clumps stuff

Flocculants only work when the cloudiness is caused by particles much larger than bacteria are. It can work if you've, for example, stirred up a ton of gunk from the substrate and would prefer it get filtered out rather than settle back and sink into the gravel again. In that case, stir it up just enough to keep it from settling and try a flocculant and it may well remove most of it. Flocculants are used as part of water treatment in most water treatment plants on a vast scale.

But for bacterial clouds, they're of little to no help. Usually the cause is an overabundance of organics in the water. This can be from too much crud in the substrate, such as poop, food, dead plants, even dead critters or simply ammonia or nitrite. The organics feed the heterotrophic bacteria which exist in every tank. These bacteria can reproduce at what seems like lightning speed compared to the speed at which our BB reproduce. And so long as the organic load is there, the bacteria will feed on it and the cloudiness will remain or come back quickly after a water change.

A bloom of heterotrophs can actually produce ammonia and in extreme cases cause a spike so watch the water tests. They can also use up too much of the oxygen in the water and suffocate fish, so providing extra aeration is a good idea. Either add an airstone or drop water levels to let water from the filter output fall in, making a good splash, or both. Either will increase gas exchange at the water surface, which increases oxygen replacement in the water.

It's more commonly seen in newly set up tanks than in established ones. I figured out the problem in mine is the food I've been feeding the snails, in an effort to increase egg laying. It becomes a fine powder by the time it hits bottom and too much has sunk into the substrate. It goes too deep for the big snails to get at, and there's too much for the MTS population to take care of. I'm pretty sure it happened because I knocked over a rock while doing a water change, and that stirred up a huge cloud of crud that was trapped under the rock. So I will be doing multiple gravel vacs, water changes and filter cleanings until the water clears. Once I've rinsed most of the organic load out of the gravel, it should clear up.

I'd have to go look up what you do when it's in a new tank.

And I did.. this is a good article on the problem; http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/246850-bacterial-blooms-explained/

Chances are you may not have to do much of anything, in new tanks the bloom is often self limiting, once it uses up the organics it goes away. Water changes don't help much, as you can't do enough of them to keep up with the reproductive rate of the bacteria.

In my case the WCS are the unavoidable side result of thoroughly vacuuming all the gravel. I'm actually sucking out sections of gravel so I can rinse them really well, then replace it in the tank. Section by section I'll get it all rinsed out.

Extra filter rinsings will help prevent excess organics I stir up while vacuuming from staying in the filter media. With any luck in a week or ten days, maybe less, I'll have clear water again. I'm going to get a plate to feed the snails on, to try and stop this particular food, which they adore, from sinking into the gravel, but I will also have to do more gravel maintenance to make sure it won't happen again.

Hope yours clears up nice and quick !

Thanks! There's not really much cloudiness- only what can be expected after I rescaped, so it sounds as if the stuff may help.

Back
Top Bottom