heater help 180 l

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave2010

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have a 180 litre tropical aquarium with one 200 watt heater, I want to put another heater in the tank set at a slightly lower temperature just incase 1 heater fails or breaks! Would it be ok to add another 200 watt heater or would I need to get rid of my 200 watt heater and buy two 100 watt ones, please help because I don't want to harm my fish or cook them with too much heat! Thanks

Welcome to AA :)

What kind of heater do you have? If you make sure the heater has an actual thermostat and a failsafe to shut off rather than staying on when broken, you would have no issues IMO. I definitely wouldn't put a pre-set heater in there though.

My heater is a aquaclear it does have a thermostat I can change the temp up and down, I'm worried about it failing without me knowing and my fish dying, I do have a digital thermometer on the side of my tank which let's me know the tank is at the right heat but I don't always look at it! I've heard its better to have 2 heaters rather than 1 just incase 1 fails and so that the water is heated more evenlly. Do you know any good heaters you can recommend to me? Thanks

dave2010 said:
Hi I have a 180 litre tropical aquarium with one 200 watt heater, I want to put another heater in the tank set at a slightly lower temperature just incase 1 heater fails or breaks! Would it be ok to add another 200 watt heater or would I need to get rid of my 200 watt heater and buy two 100 watt ones, please help because I don't want to harm my fish or cook them with too much heat! Thanks

I keep a spare around, but not "in" my DT. If one failed, I think I'd catch it before the water had a significant drop in temp. One thing I do is, I have a heater rated for a much larger tank (got a deal on it) so as the lfs owner said, it's not running at full tilt all the time, less wear & tear on it and it should last much longer.

Welcome aboard!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Thanks for the advice I think ill get myself a 300 watt heater and replace it with my 200 and then just keep my 200 as a spare, thanks

Sent from my Desire HD using Aquarium

I think a 300w heater is a little overkill for that tank. Not necessarily too much, but I run 300w heaters on my 125g and 150g... about 3 times the size of yours. I would stick with a 200-250w myself.

Would it be too much even if the temperature is turned down to around 26?

mfdrookie516 said:
Like I said, it wouldn't necessarily be too much, but if it gets stuck in the 'on' position, it'll cook your fish quicker than a 200w

Never had one get stuck on. Does that happen often?

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

It does... A lot are coming out with failsafes to keep them from sticking, but I used to read a lot about it. Not as common lately, but still something to consider.

Do you know if my heater has a failsafe its the aquaclear 50 I think, if not can you recommend me a good heater with the fail safe feature

Back
Top Bottom