Heater problems....!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had 3 heaters stop working in 10 months. What the heck?!!

The last one was replaced last week and is already not working. Temp dropped to under 70 degrees. I had to go to work so left a space heater on in front of the tank. I actually lost most of my fish over the holiday due to the last heater breaking so I'm scared to go home...........

Anyways, leaving work now and off to the store for another but anyone got any clue why they keep breaking? Am I just unlucky?

I wondered if the power strip was faulty and causing them to short or something but the filter is plugged into the same one and no problems with that.

Anyone got any ideas?

Whats the brand/wattage, tank size? Do you unplug the heater when you wc?
Edit- I remember you;) 75 gal? Is there a drip loop in heater cord? Any way drips are getting to the power source?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
What kind of heaters are you buying? Most have a year warranty on them. Cobalt Neotherms have a 3 year warranty. They are the best IMO.

It's a 60g. Not sure the wattage but they were all for a tank of that or larger. Two were top fin the last one marine land.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks but its only a week old so I think the store will take it.

If you're shorting out heaters that quickly it's got to be something in the setup??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get a new power strip and get two heaters and a heater controller. Also read the directions on setting them up, some heaters you can just plug right in, others you're supposed to let the heater stay submerged for a little while before you actually plug it in.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I imagine since the filter and heater are on the same power strip...during water changes do you shut off the power strip or just unplug the filter? In other words, any chance that the heater is on during water changes?

I imagine since the filter and heater are on the same power strip...during water changes do you shut off the power strip or just unplug the filter? In other words, any chance that the heater is on during water changes?

I definitely unplug both during water changes.

Get a new power strip and get two heaters and a heater controller. Also read the directions on setting them up, some heaters you can just plug right in, others you're supposed to let the heater stay submerged for a little while before you actually plug it in.

Ok thanks. I was wondering if having 2 would be a good idea so as to lessen the load on just 1. Thx I will look up a heater controller as not sure what that is. I did plug the new one into a different power strip.
Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom