Hello, Betta and Goldfish lover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They aren't fancy

But they are still GF.

The GF are probably common or Comet Goldfish. They are also referred to as feeder fish because they grow lots of them (one reason why they are cheap) and some people feed them to their fish or turtles. (Lots of debate on that too :blink:)

Betta fish are a tropical fish and need warmer water. Where as GF whether fancy OR Common/Comet are a cool water, usually referred to as a cold water fish.

Betta should NOT be in cool water ~72F or lower. That is the main reason people will have heaters because in winter homes temperatures are too cool and in summer the A/C can make the house too cool.

Better temps for the Betta would be ~78-82F. A heater can make sure it stays at least that warm.

Water that warm is too warm for a GF to be at the best health.

GF like the top water temps to be 77F or LESS. Better temps would be around 72-74F. They can be in colder water temps too.

Fancies don't care for very cold water temps, but the Common GF, Comets and Koi can deal with very cold water even in the 40's.

There are some differences.

Betta, very minimum tank size would be 2.5-3G (for 1 fish). That is pretty darn small but could be a liveable place, though not the best choice. 5G is a nice size and some people prefer 7.5-10G.

They are a fish which will usually love to swim around the tank. Many newly acquired fish from the store do not swim much because they are weakened from sitting nearly motionless in a little cup. They can recover their strength by being in a nice space for swimming and have healthy food provided and good water conditions.

The largest a baby GF should be in a 10G tank imo would be 4ish inches. 5 inches would be pushing it, they are high waste producing fish, need to eat numerous times per day (provding even more waste to the tank = ammonia), and they need LOTS of room for swimming.

If you are watching the water parameters and daily knowing they are in safe water levels, it will be trying at the least to keep them healthy in a small tank. HARD thing to keep up on. Especially if you have a social life, schoolwork and actual employment.

Last edited:
The reason why small tanks stun growth is due to betta fish evolution creating an enzyme that tells them growing room
Recommend water changes every week
Recommend even more to get a bigger tank as it is cruel to keep a betta in such small tank

Bettas need a minimum of 2.5 gallons imo, it's not the best of course but my last on thrived in one for 6 and a 1/2 years and was very active and content. Yours don't seem to even be 2.5 tho :( maybe I'm wrong

You could could find out if any friends have Ponds they could live in? Goldfish make great pond fish.

Those betta fish are going to need a minimum of 10 gallons each, along with filters and a heater. I keep mine in a planted 10 gallon with a baffled filter rated for 20 gallons. His temperature is a constant 79 degrees. Lower or fluctuating temperatures can lead to shortened lifespans, fin deformity, and disease. Until you can upgrade their tanks, filters, and add heaters for them, keep their water pristine with daily water changes of around 50%. Pick out any uneaten food, and be sure to keep your place warm. Goldfish are cold water, but bettas are tropical. Get them heaters where you can control the temperature. And please read up about fish-in cycling. Your filters will need time to grow beneficial bacteria, and it's a tricky process with livestock already in the tank, but it doesn't look like you'll have much of a choice.

Where did you get ten gallons? I kept my last Betta in a three gallon for a whole before upgrading to ten gallons. As long as you do enough water changes and heat the tank smaller tanks can work. I gave up on the three gallon because I wanted to plant it and was worried about tempature swings.

Where did you get ten gallons? I kept my last Betta in a three gallon for a whole before upgrading to ten gallons. As long as you do enough water changes and heat the tank smaller tanks can work. I gave up on the three gallon because I wanted to plant it and was worried about tempature swings.
Basically I got 10 gallons because I tried five, and found that it was harder to decorate, harder to filter, and harder to keep clean. Given that a betta likes to explore and swim, that most Hob filters are rated for at least 20 gallons, with there being an in-tank whisper tetra filter for 10 that just takes up more swimming space, and it's almost impossible to fit more than one or two live plants in a five.... Well, it's what works for me. I like giving my betta room to swim, had less water turbulence, and found that my fish seemed happier with little things to swim under, around, and explore. The more richly decorated the tank, the more active the betta, as they're intelligent fish, and need some stimulus throughout the day.

Basically I got 10 gallons because I tried five, and found that it was harder to decorate, harder to filter, and harder to keep clean. Given that a betta likes to explore and swim, that most Hob filters are rated for at least 20 gallons, with there being an in-tank whisper tetra filter for 10 that just takes up more swimming space, and it's almost impossible to fit more than one or two live plants in a five.... Well, it's what works for me. I like giving my betta room to swim, had less water turbulence, and found that my fish seemed happier with little things to swim under, around, and explore. The more richly decorated the tank, the more active the betta, as they're intelligent fish, and need some stimulus throughout the day.

I have kept all mine in ten gallons also. I loved the look and the fish loved it. You could use a sponge filter, Bettas love those. To me temperature regulation is way better in a ten gallon. There are plenty of smaller live plants or you could use silk plants. Also some of the heavier finned individuals really should be in smaller tanks. I do agree that a Betta in a ten gallon looks great[emoji1]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom