Hello from New member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maid Marian

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm a new member. I have never done a forum before but I really need help.
I have a 36 gallon tank that has had a good mix of community fish. Beta with some tetras and others.
Recently I brought home some new tetras and that has caused a spiral of issues.
First I thought I had Ich because some of the new fish died and then I started seeing the white spots. I treated the whole tank and then decided to do a big change. I Replaced all the old gravel and decorations and did a big water change. The tank went completely cloudy. I pulled out all the fish (almost literally into buckets). Drained the water and cleaned the gravel again more thoroughly. Filled and treated the tank, running it for a week while the fish 'camped' on the kitchen counter in their temporary homes. I replaced the filter and that has helped clear the water. I think it might have been particles from the new gravel.
My current problem is one of my loaches has bloated up. This seemed to happen over night. Still moves around but has this big belly. I don't know male from female (I have 2). I have attached some pictures.
Do you think my loach is sick or going to lay eggs?

How old is this tank? Do you know your water parameters?

All the replacement substrate, decorations, filter etc could be causing havoc with your tanks cycle and causing water quality issues.

Hi yes all the new stuff is causing some of the problems. Ammonia and Nitrite are low. The Nitrate needs to improve but that comes with time.
My worry is the Loach. Did the pictures show up?

Ammonia and nitrite being low is a problem. In a cycled tank they should be zero. Nitrate doesnt improve with time, it improves with water changes. I suspect all your problems are due to poor water quality.

Again, how old is the tank? What are your water parameters?

Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle a tank? If so, how did you cycle the tank?

No, the photos didn't show up.

Hi the tank is a couple of years old. My understanding is the Nitrate improves as the 'good' bacteria builds up.

Bloated Loach

Here are pictures (I hope) of my poor bloated Loach

Attachments

• 20211103_065037.jpg
    20211103_065037.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211103_064941.jpg
    20211103_064941.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 18
Hi the tank is a couple of years old. My understanding is the Nitrate improves as the 'good' bacteria builds up.
No. Good bacteria consumes ammonia and ultimately converts that to nitrate. There are anaerobic bacteria that consumes nitrate and discharges nitrogen gas, but this is extremely difficult to achieve in a freshwater aquarium. Typically the only way to reduce nitrate is through water changes. Heavily planted tanks can help take up nitrate also.

Back
Top Bottom